Saturday, April 04, 2015

Charli Reviews: Anatomy of a Misfit

Outside, Anika Dragomir is all lip gloss and blond hair—the third most popular girl in school. Inside, she’s a freak: a mix of dark thoughts, diabolical plots, and, if local chatter is to be believed, vampire DNA (after all, her father is Romanian). But she keeps it under wraps to maintain her social position. One step out of line and Becky Vilhauer, first most popular girl in school, will make her life hell. So when former loner Logan McDonough shows up one September hotter, smarter, and more mysterious than ever, Anika knows she can’t get involved. It would be insane to throw away her social safety for a nerd. So what if that nerd is now a black-leather-jacket-wearing dreamboat, and his loner status is clearly the result of his troubled home life? Who cares if the right girl could help him with all that, maybe even save him from it? Who needs him when Jared Kline, the bad boy every girl dreams of, is asking her on dates? Who?
________________________________________________
Author: Andrea Portes
Publisher: Harper
Date of Publication: Originally Jan 2014
Pages: 366
Source: Review copy from the publisher
Goodreads | Amazon

I received a free copy of this book from Harper 360 in exchange for a honest review. This does not affect my review/opinions in any way. Thank you Harper 360!

To say I had a few issues with this would be accurate. To say I struggled to get through this book would also be fairly accurate; although I didn’t hate it. The first thought I had when I finished it was that my thoughts were very mixed about this one, and it took me a while to work them out.

Let’s start in the traditional Charli way: if you know me, you know I’m all about characters. So for this particular book, my biggest issue was the protagonist. Honestly? To me, Anika wasn't any type of misfit, really; she was just annoying. It's more of a "I think being nerdy seems cute so that's what I am" situation than someone being genuinely an odd one out. 

My second issue came down to the slut-shaming. As a massive feminist, it got old really quickly. Several other groups and sub-cultures are slammed in this book, and for me personally, it was uncomfortable to read. I think it was meant to be a part of the character, but it just didn't appeal to me. 

I think I just generally disliked the writing style - Portes isn't a bad writer, as everything was written well, but it just wasn't for me. 

My final issue was the love triangle. In this instance, it was quite pointless; you could tell which she actually wanted to date and no tension was formed from it. I would have preferred her to develop a proper romance that I could get invested in. 

Positively, though? I enjoyed the humour and slight sass amongst the characters, and some of the concepts are fantastic. I didn't hate this, but I can't say it was ultimately for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori