Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Jessica Cole Blog Tour! Charli Reviews: Code Red Lipstick




Models, spies and lipstick gadgets... When Jessica's father, a former spy, vanishes mysteriously, Jessica takes matters into her own hands. She's not just a daddy's girl who's good at striking a pose; she's a trained spook who knows how to take on MI6 and beat them at their own game.

Author: Sarah Sky 
Series: Jessica Cole: Model Spy #1 
Genre: Contemporary / Crime YA 
Publisher: Scholastic 
Pages: 336
Source: Review copy (Thank you to Scholastic for this copy; I received it free of charge in return of an honest review. This is in no way affects my review.)
Review by: Charli 

Code Red Lipstick is ideal for those YA readers who like interesting adventures matched with cute yet strong protagonists; as well as the tad of a mystery. 

It's a short read packed with scenarios to captivate you; and Sky doesn't let romance overtake her plot in any way. 

Jessica Cole is sharp and intelligent, and yet she can wear lipstick and heels. I like because, without going into it too far, a lot of feminists' have this type of internalized misogyny that you can't do and be both; and Jessica as the protagonist helps to prove that this is far from the truth. 

Sky's writing style is fresh and uncomplicated; making for a light reading experience mixed with all the action that occurs throughout the book. I particularly liked the mystery in this book because I felt like I was solving it too; Jessica going every step of the way. The gadgets and things used throughout were really interesting too. 

I probably ruined my reading experience of this by accident; reading it on a bus when I had high stress levels wasn't a very good idea! But all the same, I really enjoyed this book. 

I'm not very into fashion; and I honestly expected that element of the book to put me off it completely. Fortunately, however, it didn't... It was written well and I liked the description of all the dresses. (I am put off ever using face cream, though.)

Ideal for any fan of Gallagher Girls or Geek Girl, Code Red Lipstick has a great plot, amazing characters and just provides a very genuine look on life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori