Saturday, January 17, 2015

Charli Reviews: The Iron Trial

Most people would do anything to get into the Magisterium and pass the Iron Trial.

Not Callum Hunt.

Call has been told his whole life that he should never trust a magician. And so he tries his best to do his worst – but fails at failing.

Now he must enter the Magisterium.
It's a place that's both sensational and sinister. And Call realizes it has dark ties to his past and a twisty path to his future.

The Iron Trial is just the beginning. Call’s biggest test is still to come...


Authors: Cassandra Clare and Holly Black
Series: Magisterium #1
Publisher: Random House Children's
Date of Publication: Sept 2014
Pages: 320
Source: For review via NetGalley
Goodreads | Amazon

I received a free copy of this book from RHCP via NetGalley in exchange for a honest review. This does not affect my review/opinions in any way. Thank you RHCP and NetGalley!

When I decided to read this, I wasn't sure what to expect. I didn't particularly like The Mortal Instruments by Clare, and I've never read anything by Black. I also wanted to jump into this blind, only reading one or two reviews of it, and barely skimming the synopsis.

I did enjoy this; it was a quick read and I loved the imagery that was occasionally given, as well as Call's family history. But, in general, this book lacked substance. It was quite flat and the action wasn't amazing; it didn't really have any effect on the story. The rivalry that Call had with another character also seemed very pointless and unnecessary (although it might mean something more later in the series).

The world-building... well, it didn't really exist. It just wasn't there; and for such an awesome sounding school, I really craved some beautiful, detailed world-building. Where there was imagery it was brilliant, and I loved it, but it just didn't happen for most of the book.

Now, everyone has compared this book with Harry Potter; and, not wanting to jump on the band-wagon, per say, there are quite a few similarities. It isn't a blatant copy, but I did see some things that made me stop and go, wait, I swear I read this years ago.

I was able to immerse myself into this book, but in that way that you're not really inside the world, or the characters; which isn't what I like when I read fantasy. I like to be there, be in that place, as if I'm gazing around for the first time.

In all honesty, the first few chapters were my favourite; the tests that got them into the school in the first place.

The last issue I'll discuss was the ending; it was bland and roughly cut off, again, lacking any sort of substance or meaning to the entirety of the story.

So, overall, my experience with this book wasn't horrible, but equally, it wasn't particularly good. I don't think I'll read the rest of the series, but I think some readers would really enjoy this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori