Wednesday, September 10, 2014

My TBR Has Jaundice!


Doctor Charli was recently observing her patient, the TBR pile, and noticed two serious things that were a bit off.

1) It is morbidly obese.
2) It has jaundice.

Jaundice is a common illness/symptom/thing, particularly in babies, nothing wrong with it.

BUT WHY DOES MY BOOKSHELF HAVE IT?

For those of you who are confused (probably all of you), I mean that loads of books that I currently have to read have yellow covers/spines.

It took me a moment to work out why. A lot of publishers are trying to not "genderise" books, ie no pink or blue. This is because the other sex opposite to each stereotypical colour thinks it isn't for their gender.

Has yellow become a "gender-safe" colour?

Don't get me wrong, I like yellow! I have no issue with it as a colour. But is it really the only colour a book can be now, without offending someone?

Green? Purple? Grey? Red? Orange? The spectrum is wide, my friends.

Am I going mad? Or do you agree? Let me know!

4 comments:

  1. I honestly don't know what to say charli. Looking at my tbr pile there is a bunch of black and grays. There had been an upsurge of yellow though.

    Amelia @ YA Bookologists

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I have some greys and blacks too, but mainly yellow! Maybe it depends on where you are in the world?

      -Charli

      Delete
  2. This made me take a good look at my shelves and I can pick out maybe two or three yellow books (out of 200+). I see a LOT of black and gray though and even a lot of white. And actually a lot of blue, too, even on my "romance" shelf. That's so funny about your TBR being jaundice though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm! Maybe it depends on where you are in the world? But I guess black/grey/white are gender-safe too?

      Delete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori