Sunday, September 07, 2014

Charli Reviews: This Book is Gay

Former PSHCE teacher and acclaimed YA author James Dawson gives an uncensored look at what it's like to grow up as LGBT. Including testimonials from people 'across the spectrum', this inclusive book explores everything anyone who ever dared to wonder wants to know - from sex to politics, how to pull, stereotypes, how to come-out and more. Spike Gerrell's hilarious illustrations combined with funny and factual text make this a must-have read.

Author: James Dawson
Publisher: Hot Key Books
Date of Publication: September 4th 2014
Pages: 271
Source: Review copy from the publisher
Goodreads | Amazon

I received a free copy of this book from Hot Key Books in exchange for a honest review. This does not affect my review/opinions in any way. Thank you Hot Key!

I never normally review non-fiction, but I knew that I had to read and review this one. I don't identify as LGBT+ myself, but I'm personally a big supporter of their rights and have wanted to know more about the subject.

James Dawson is the perfect person to write a book like this. He's blunt and witty, but reassuring and doesn't pretend he knows more than he does (which, of course, is a lot). The illustrations also add to the experience of the book.

Although I knew quite a lot about lesbian, gay, bisexual, asexual and pansexual people, I didn't know a lot about transgender/gender-queer people, so it was really interesting to learn about that. I also liked all the testimonials and stories from people of various backgrounds, ages etc on the spectrum. 

I strongly believe that every single school, library, nurse's office should have a copy of this book. It's perfect for anyone either confused about their sexuality, wanting to know more about it, needing to gain confidence, or even like me, just want to learn more.

This book is absolutely brilliant and I want to shout from my roof tops for everyone to read it, LGBT* or not. It's amazingly insightful and hilarious, too!

2 comments:

  1. *high fives Charli for being an ally* You can tell how dry the book is by the fact the title is so blunt and to the point. I wish my school would carry something like this for all the people with questions about the LGBT+ community, but they are against it sadly. Thank you Charli for the recommendation I will pass it along to friends!

    Amelia @ YA Bookologists

    ReplyDelete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori