Thursday, September 04, 2014

Charli Reviews: Solitaire

My name is Tori Spring. I like to sleep and I like to blog. Last year – before all that stuff with Charlie and before I had to face the harsh realities of A-Levels and university applications and the fact that one day I really will have to start talking to people – I had friends. Things were very different, I guess, but that’s all over now.

Now there’s Solitaire. And Michael Holden.

I don’t know what Solitaire are trying to do, and I don’t care about Michael Holden.

I really don’t.

Author: Alice Oseman
Publisher: HarperCollins Children's
Date of Publication: 31st July 2014
Pages: 400
Source: Review copy from the publisher
Goodreads | Amazon

I received a free copy of this book from HarperCollins in exchange for a honest review. This does not affect my review/opinions in any way. Thank you HarperCollins!

I read this book in July, and it's now September. I've tweeted and fangirled and squealed about it, and I went to the author's launch party, but it's taken me this long to find words for my review. I honestly don't think I can do this justice, because Oseman's debut is purely phenomenal.

Tori, the protagonist, is relateable from the very first page, and I loved her straight away. She's extremely like me, and my friends (particularly Tori herself), and all the references to fandoms, bands and uses of sarcasm make it perfect.

The plot to do with Solitaire is amazing, and it shows the power of social media- how easy it is to spread a message to people, and to drag them in. I also loved the trail of post-it notes at the very beginning, leading to their blog address.

There's a lot to do with mental health in this book; and it's very open. I think that's important in YA and Oseman tackles it amazingly well. The themes of anorexia, self harm and general depression are brilliant. There are also mentions to equality for women, which was really interesting to see.

I related so much to this book; my history, attitude and the myths and truths of going to a grammar school; but it wasn't like reading a biography or anything, because it's so different and there's mystery, fun and so many other aspects.

This is one of those books that I think you have to have a certain outlook, attitude and sense of humour to enjoy. Tori is quite a pessimistic, sarcastic character, much like myself; but obviously that isn't for everyone. One thing I found intriguing was why Tori didn't like to read - because it's not real. Personally, I read because it isn't real.

As I said, I don't think I can review this and give it enough justice. But what I can say is that it's intriguing, funny, mysterious, and absolutely gorgeously written.

(I haven't used any quotes in this review because I had so many I wanted to use. Instead, I'll be doing a "Consider Yourself Quoted" post in October featuring a small army of amazing quotes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori