Sunday, September 14, 2014

Charli Reviews: Blue

Surfing is sixteen-year-old Iris’s world, and when the ultra-talented Zeke walks into her life, it soon becomes her passion.

Over one amazing summer, as she is drawn into his sphere, she experiences love, new friendships, but also loss, with an intensity she never dreamed of.

But is Zeke all he seems? What hides beneath his glamorous and mysterious past? When Iris decides to try for her own surfing success, just as her ex-boyfriend comes back into her life, she will test her talent, and her feelings for Zeke, to the limit…

Author: Lisa Glass
Publisher: Quercus
Date of Publication: May 2014
Pages: 375
Source: Review copy via NetGalley
Goodreads | Amazon

I received a free copy of this book from Quercus via NetGalley in exchange for a honest review. This does not affect my review/opinions in any way. Thank you Quercus and NetGalley

What can I say about this book? It was an absolutely perfect summer read! Blue is cute from start to finish and I can't wait for the sequel next June.

I didn't actually take many notes on this book because I was so into the story. As someone who hasn't got any interest in surfing whatsoever, I thought I could get really bored, but I was glued to the book and it actually did captivate me.

Something I adored particularly about this book was the characters. I liked Iris, and loved Zeke! Can we talk about Zeke's playlist:

"...Zeke just had a load of mellow surf music on there... Ben Howard, 
the Neighbourhood... Newton Faulkner..."

The Neighbourhood and Newton Faulkner! Zeke has extremely good taste. 
I did have a few grumbles about this book; all involving the plot. The element to do with drugs seemed a bit forced into it, and the situation with Daniel blew over quite quickly (I won't spoil what that thing is). The ending was really sweet, but was slightly anticlimatic. 

But where I wasn't being picky about the plot, it was a great storyline! It was really sweet and the romance was gorgeous. 

There are quite a few themes in this to do with LGBT and mental health, which Glass wrote about really well and they were threaded through the book so that it wasn't too heavy. Because of this, it was still all about the surfing and the romance, but it did have some more serious stuff to think about. 

I did really enjoy this book even though I had a few complaints! Glass is definitely one to watch and I'll definitely be reading the sequel. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori