Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Charli Reviews... The Baking Life of Amelie Day

My name is Amelie Day and I live to bake. Cupcakes, biscuits, bread, tarts and muffins - flour power! Now I've got a once-in-a-lifetime chance to win the Teen Baker of the Year award. But it looks like my stupid cystic fibrosis might get in the way. Will my mum let me go to London to compete?

Author: Vanessa Curtis
Publisher: Curious Fox
Date of Publication: September 2014
Pages: 240
Source: Review copy from the publisher
Goodreads | Amazon

I received a free copy of this book from Curious Fox in exchange for a honest review. This does not affect my review/opinions in any way. Thank you Curious Fox!

I read this a few weeks ago one evening, all in one sitting. I wanted something short and light, and that's what I got! It's such a fresh concept with really interesting themes and characters, and I really enjoyed it.

Amelie, the protagonist, is a baker; a great one at that. She applies for a baker TV show (GBBO style), and gets through, but she had cystic fibrosis. It's been worse than usual, so it's on the rocks as to whether she will be able to go or not.

The characters in this one are great. I loved how much substance there was to them with little background or history; it was easy to identify with them. My favourite had to be Harry, Amelie's boyfriend; and I did like Amelie too, of course!

Now, I had never really heard of CF before. In primary school I knew someone with it, but I didn't know it was that at the time and obviously it wasn't shouted about; so I went into this book unknowing about it. Curtis explains it really well in uncomplicated terms, and I felt really at home with it, especially when Amelie went for appointments etc. I felt like I understood, at least to a point, which was great.

In terms of the ending, it was slightly predictable but in a good way. The way Curtis got there was funny, but with heartbreaking twists, and I wanted to see that ending happen.

I'd recommend this for people who love baking, eating and the Bake Off on TV! It's a great perspective on living with something like CF, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori