Saturday, August 02, 2014

Event Recap: Alice Oseman's Book Launch

 On the 31st of July, I attended Alice Oseman's book launch! Unlike most authors who have theirs in London, she held it here in Birmingham, at the high street branch of Waterstones. Because of this I was able to attend and it was amazing!!


When Gem and Bex announced that Alice Oseman would be launching her book at the store, I knew I had to go! I hadn't yet read the book but it was meant to arrive a few days later in the post. My friend Maryam and I bought tickets; it turned out that Madi would be on holiday, which was unfortunate.

I was excited anyway (I was 90% sure I would love the book) but after I'd actually read it, I was REALLY REALLY EXCITED!! I couldn't sleep on Wednesday night, and all throughout Thursday I was squealing and fangirling.

Although my mum sees me fangirling all the time, she had to ask me to stop because it was just too much for her (and when we were in the car she thought she might crash if I didn't stop...).

I bought a finished copy of the book even though I had a proof because it's even more beautiful! AND THE SPINE!!!! <3 <3 <3


When Alice came onto the little stage, there was a banner and balloons put up, and she sat down with Bex.



She said that she was reading one of my favourite scenes and I ABSOLUTELY FREAKED! I was mouthing along to some of it as she read it (which probably looked a bit weird because most people hadn't actually read it prior) and SHE MADE IT SOUND EVEN MORE AWESOME. (She said she didn't practice it, but I don't believe her. She was amazing.

Alice then did a Q&A with Bex, talking about the controversy of her age (she said there has been prejudice, in reviews and such, but not in the publishing world) and the issues dealt with in her book.

I asked the question of which actors she imagined as each character, and her answers were:
  • Tori - Ellie Kendrick
  • Michael - Robert Sheehan (YES. THIS.)
  • Becky - Chloe Grace Moretz
  • Lucas - Evan Peters

Alice also said she doesn't want it to be known as a soppy teen drama, because it's not (trust me, it isn't).
AND SHE SAID THAT NICK AND CHARLIE ARE TOGETHER FOREVER <3 <3 but she couldn't promise about the other ship (*CUES DIDO* I will go down with this shipppp)

Then the talk was over and I met up with Mikayla, Ambi, Sofia and Zarin who I met at the TFiOS fan party last month. We lined up and were the first to meet Alice.

*cue fangirling*

ALICE KNEW WHO I WAS!!! AND SHE SIGNED MY BOOKS IN PURPLE AND SHE TALKED TO ME FOR A MINUTE OR TWO AND TOOK A PICTURE WITH ME AND I JUST INWARDLY DIED AND I STILL AM. I look terrible in this picture but I don't care BECAUSE I MET ALICE (although you can see my purple hair so yay)


 
 
We also ate some nice little cakes (I HAD MY FIRST EVER CAKEPOP. It was very nice) and there was the Solitaire cover made with cake! It looked absolutely amazing!
 
 

I had an amazing time and Alice is the loveliest <3 I wish her every success and I hop Solitaire receives all the attention and love it deserves. Thank you to Alice, HarperCollins and YA Birmingham <3

My review should be up next week, too! It would have been up earlier but I'm still struggling to find words.



1 comment:

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori