Monday, August 25, 2014

Charli Reviews: Unstoppable

Rosie has managed to wangle spending the summer before uni in the same house as her boyfriend Cal – but who else should also be staying except for the infamous man-eater, Cleo.

Things between Cal and Rosie could never have been described as easy, but her growing jealousy seems like an unstoppable force. Can their love weather the storm?

Author: Liz Bankes
Publisher: Piccadilly Press
Date of Publication: July 2014
Pages: 224
Source: Review Copy from the publisher
Goodreads | Amazon

I received a free copy of this book from Piccadilly Press in exchange for a honest review. This does not affect my review/opinions in any way. Thank you Piccadilly Press! 

I read this in one sitting; it had an interesting plotline and I liked the characters. Although it didn't blow my mind, it was a light contemporary that kicked away my slump, with a few serious elements as well as humour.

I honestly thought this would be quite cliche when I read the blurb and started it; but it actually wasn't. Yes, it did have elements which were a bit predictable; but it also had ones that made me gasp, laugh and cringe.

In terms of the characters, I did find them likeable, and most of them had intriguing backgrounds. The protagonist, Rosie, was funny and was formed by Bankes really well. However, I wasn't really keen on Cal (Rosie's boyfriend). Out of personal opinion, he seemed annoying and not right for Rosie.

Like I said, this book wasn't eye-opening or anuthing, but it didn't need to be.  It's a contemporary with a little more substance than most, which was enough to hook me into the story. I also really liked the writing style. Bankes has a clear-cut voice that makes it fun to read.

Overall, I did really enjoy this. It was funny, romantic and had some plot-twists that I loved.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds overly cliche but sometimes you need to try cliche. Substance is always important though it looks like a beach read.

    ReplyDelete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori