Friday, June 27, 2014

Tori Reviews: Elsewhere

Killed in a hit-and-run accident, Liz's 'life' takes an unexpected turn. She knows that she will never marry, have children or maybe never even fall in love - but in the land called Elsewhere, things carry on pretty much as normal.

Author: Gabrielle Zevin
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Date of Publication: September 2007
Pages: 271
Source: Borrowed from library
Goodreads | Amazon


This book was recommended to me by my school librarian and she said that she loved it, and had recommended it to other people who have enjoyed it. At first I was a bit hesitant to read it because sometimes the school librarians can pick out some books that are a bit old and not very good, but I loved this book.

Elsewhere is about a 16 year old girl called Elizabeth (Liz for short) who got killed in a hit-and-run accident. Liz finds herself in a world called Elsewhere which is where everyone goes when they die. She lived with her grandmother, Betty, and tries to have a normal life. However, in Elsewhere, instead of getting older, you get younger so her grandmother is 33, not 67. Liz thinks that because she died young, she won’t be able to find love until a certain someone comes along…

One of the things I loved about the book was the characters. My favourite character was Betty, Liz’s grandmother. She was kind and caring which all grandmothers are supposed to be, but she was also understanding. Liz wasn’t the smartest person at the start of the book and was a bit depressed so she did some reckless things. Betty was very understanding about it and I loved how their relationship blossomed throughout the book.

I also loved Curtis. When Liz was alive, Curtis was lead singer of her favourite band, Machine. They both died at around the same time so they were both in the same boat when they arrived. Curtis was good friends with Liz and gave her advice when she didn’t want to talk to Betty.  He was Liz’s father figure when on Elsewhere because he genuinely cared about her and wanted the best for her. I loved it.

There are many ideas on what happens after you die but I don’t think that I’ve heard of one like this before. It is such a unique idea that I found really interesting. Also, it was written in present tense which I think made it even more different and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

Overall, I think that this book was written beautifully and the plot was exciting. I can’t find a fault in this book.

‘Human existence is like a circle and a line at the same time. It is a circle, because
everything that was old would be new and everything that was new became old.
              It is a line because the circle stretched out indefinitely, infinitely even.’            

2 comments:

  1. This is one of my absolute favourite books, such an incredible read. I will be seriously disappointed if Elsewhere doesn't end up being real!! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eeeeeee! Elsewhere is a perfect book <3 I loved it so much! Really glad you enjoyed it Tori:D

    ReplyDelete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori