Sunday, June 15, 2014

Charli Reviews: Skin Deep

Ugly people don't have feelings. They're not like everyone else. They don't notice if you stare at them and turn away. And if they did notice, it wouldn't hurt them. They're not like real people. Or that's what I used to think. Before I learned...After the car crash that leaves her best friend dead, Jenna is permanently scarred. She struggles to rebuild her life, but every stare in the street, every time she looks in the mirror, makes her want to retreat further from the world. Until she meets Ryan. Ryan's a traveller. When he and his mother moor their narrow boat on the outskirts of a village, she tells him this time it will be different. He doesn't believe her; he can't imagine why this place shouldn't be as unwelcoming as the rest. Until he meets Jenna. But as Jenna and Ryan grow closer, repercussions from the crash continue to reverberate through the community. And then a body is found...

Author: Laura Jarrett
Publisher: Electric Monkey
Date of Publication: March 2012
Pages: 377
Source: Review copy from the publisher
Goodreads | Amazon

I received a free copy of this book from Electric Monkey in exchange for a honest review. This does not affect my review/opinions in any way. Thank you Electric Monkey!

Before I read Skin Deep, I had wanted to read one of Jarratt's novels for a long time. Now, I am desperate to read her others! The writing is enthralling; the romance gives you butterflies...

The premise of this book is what attracted me to it almost instantly. Jenna had her face horrifically burned in a car crash; which makes her feel like a monster. In said event. she also lost her best friend and she really struggles with everything that has happened. Enter Ryan: someone she's never met, who just might be her silver lining.

To begin with, I was really unsure of Jenna. She seemed to act desperate for attention; but she didn't want it because of the scars. Once you know more of her story, it becomes a lot clearer. I can't say I fully ever enjoyed her character, but it wasn't quite so bad after a while. I could really empathise with her, with her best friend's death; as some of you know, my best friend died when I was 10.

However, I definitely preferred Ryan. Not just because he sounds absolutely lovely, but I generally preferred his voice, especially when it came to his mum! She was also a great secondary character who added such a nice edge.

When I read the blurb and started reading, I thought it might drag, at a length of just over 350pgs. It flowed continually and had something different going on all the time, so it really didn't! Like I mentioned, the romance is one of those that makes you squeal! I rooted for our couple from the first time they met and it just develops absolutely flawlessly.

I really, really enjoyed Skin Deep, right from the first to the last page. The romance is gorgeous, the premise is complex and Jarratt's writing is beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori