Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Charli Reviews: Broken

Following the revelation that Ebony is an angel, and Nathaneal’s narrow victory in battle with Prince Luca, the two are enjoying their newfound love. But Ebony’s friend Jordan is bitterly angry that he has lost the girl of his dreams. Then suddenly Prince Michael arrives to arrest Nathaneal for breaking Avena’s law when he revealed his powers on Earth in his bid to save Ebony from Luca. Nathaneal is forced to return to Avena without Ebony to stand trial.

Jordan seizes the opportunity to plant doubt in Ebony’s mind about Nathaneal and her own angelic nature. Desperate to find out what has happened to her adoptive parents, Ebony is persuaded by Jordan to believe that new teacher Mr Xavier, who claims to be her uncle, can introduce her to her real father. Disaster inevitably follows and Ebony finds herself at the centre of another epic battle in the realm of Avena itself

Author: Marianne Curley
Series: Avena #2
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Date of Publication: Feb 2014
Pages: 372
Source: Review copy from the publisher
Goodreads | Amazon

I received a free copy of this book from Bloomsbury in exchange for a honest review. This does not affect my review/opinions in any way. Thank you Bloomsbury! 

***There may be mild spoilers for the first book, Hidden, in this review.***

Some of you may know that I absolutely loved Hidden when I read it last year. But yet, when this came through my letterbox, I put reading it off for about two months. Why? I'm not sure. Maybe because I didn't want to be disappointed, or didn't want to go into it with the wrong mood.

But once I got past the first initial 20 or so pages, which were a bit boring, I was once again at ease, enthralled by the world. Broken picks up where we left off, which gives for easy reading.

From the first sentence of his Point of View, I could feel something was different about Jordan. He was more angsty, more worried, and generally, a bit sorry for himself. For a lot of the book, I really wanted to slap him and tell him to get over himself.

"Ebony laughs... I should be glad. Instead, 
I feel crummier than ever."

I also found there was less of the fantasy element in this installment. To me, a lot more of it took place at school, or at the house, and the love triangle was more prominent.

Onto the much better side of this book. It was great to be told more of Nathaneal's history; and that was worked into the book really well. The action scenes, particularly near the end, where great, too. That's the thing about Curley's books, there are beautifully written and detailed.  
Honestly? I didn't enjoy this one as much as Hidden. But there was only a few things that really annoyed me about it, which made me waver on the rating quite a bit. I loved the description, and action scenes. So, my final rating of this book is 3.5/5. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori