Sunday, May 18, 2014

Charli Reviews: The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Charlie is a freshman. And while he's not the biggest geek in the school, he is by no means popular. Shy, introspective, intelligent beyond his years yet socially awkward, he is a wallflower, caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it. Charlie is attempting to navigate his way through uncharted territory: the world of first dates and mixed tapes, family dramas and new friends; the world of sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, when all one requires is that perfect song on that perfect drive to feel infinite. But Charlie can't stay on the sideline forever. Standing on the fringes of life offers a unique perspective. But there comes a time to see what it looks like from the dance floor.

Author: Stephen Chbosky
Publisher: Pocket Books
Date of Publication: Feb 2009 (this edition)
Pages: 232
Source: Borrowed from Tori
Goodreads | Amazon

I had wanted to read this for about two years before Tori got it for her birthday. I asked to borrow it, but we forgot till last week. I hadn't intended to review it; I started it the minute she passed it to me in the school dining hall, because I didn't need to get home and pick up some sticky notes. I read 72 pages in the half-hour before school; even with all the distractions around me.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is even more beautiful than I thought it might be. I knew it was going to be gorgeously written; but this is... indescribable. Chbosky has made me see the good side of being a tad odd; and made me see that naivety isn't always a bad thing, as it normally annoys me when I see people who are my age so naive.

It took me a little while to get used to this naivety; I admit. I kept lifting my eyes from the book and asking Tori (who had, naturally, already read it in the previous month) if he was actually that naive. But, once I got past it and realised who Charlie was; it became an essential part to the story.

And that's the thing about The Perks of Being a Wallflower. It doesn't have a particularly amazing plotline; there's no suspense or action. But the events that occur and the character formation make it one of the most beautiful books I have ever read. A lot of people have put it next to The Fault in Our Stars, and I think I definitely do too.

I think another thing is the length. For what it is, it was the perfect length; there are a lot of authors out there who would totally drag it out. The problems dealt with; growing up, rape, abuse and first love... All in those 232 pages, is just perfect.

This has turned into a really long review, considering I made no notes; and that's purely because of the beauty, the premise... Everything. And I think, if you haven't read it already, you should.

We accept the love we think we deserve. 


2 comments:

  1. I adored the film of this - but I STILL haven't read the book which has been sat on my shelf for over a year. I'm definitely going to read it over the summer.
    Great review :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to watch the film! It can't be as good but it has Hermione *cough* I mean Emma Watson in it, so it must be good! Thanks Holly! <3

      Delete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori