Wednesday, April 02, 2014

The Bookish Confessionary: I Never Cry

A feature here at TAW, The Bookish Confessionary. Confessing all my bookish sins! It will be posted fortnightly, on a Wednesday, and I will use something I never have before- GIFs!

Images used are not mine.
It's true.

I don't.

Some people read, say, TFiOS, or Allegiant, and are all like...


But I don't.

I do what I call "hypothetical crying".

Like, crying my head? It sounds really weird but I just... Don't. I sit there like, whimpering, sometimes, but I don't shed a tear. With Allegiant and TFiOS that is. Oh, and Defy The Stars by Sophie McKenzie. *flappy hands*

Some REALLY EMOTIONAL BOOKS can make me not react at all, and I'll just be there like...


(I say meh a lot, too. Just ask Tori. So this GIF is pretty cool. Plus, angry birds. So yeah.)

I don't know WHY. Maybe I'm just a REALLY HEARTLESS PERSON. Probably not.

Am I literally the only person who NEVER CRIES at a book? I mean, I fangirl, loads (Tori won't be seen with me in the street at the moment because I keep fangirling at the Divergent bus posters...) but I just never cry! Not even at the ends of Divergent, TFiOS or when Dobby died!

So let me know in the comments! 

Make me feel better! Am I heartless? 

How often do books make you cry?

Charli x

12 comments:

  1. I can really relate to this post because I can't seem to shed proper tears in sad books. They make me feel sad and empty and I get a lump in my throat. Sometimes I'll shed 1-2 tears or my eyes will water, which I have done in TFIOS, Clockwork Princess and Allegiant. But never have I full on cried except for in Butterfly Summer, it was the most I'd ever cried in my life. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally; I can feel ALL THE FEELS and yet I won't cry!

      Thanks Sunny! <3

      Delete
  2. I used to be the same, but then I started crying at books OCCASIONALLY. Hardly ever. But occasionally. I don't know if that's me changing as a person or me reading better, relatable and more emotional books. I did cry a lot at Far From You by Tess Sharpe... :P

    I love The Bookish Confessionary! This feature is definitely my favourite in the whole blogosphere. Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, I just don't! I always feel so heartless! But I just can't! FFY is a prime example; I loved it, and it was so emotional, but I COULD. NOT. CRY.

      Thank you SO much, Amber! <3

      Delete
  3. YES! Another non-crying person!
    I've never cried at a book, I mean I did the *flappy hands* thing with TFiOS and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows but I just don't cry at books and that's just the way it is.

    Holly x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe! EXACTLY. *flappy hands* ftw!

      Thanks Holly!

      Delete
  4. I didn't cry during TFiOS either!

    There have only been three occasions I've cried whilst reading… but, in my defence, I've read about 1000 books in my lifetime and 3 is only a tiny fraction of that amount. I cried at Sirius Black's death – I think that's because all of Harry's parental figures had now left him. I cried at the end of Out of the Easy simply because Josie's life was so tough. And then I cried at the end of Wuthering Heights because the whole novel was so overwhelming and the writing was just SO beautiful it made me sob endlessly. :/

    I think it varies from person to person. I'm not really a person who will cry in everyday life, so it makes sense that I rarely cry whilst reading – even if I'm dying inside. :')

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW. Only 3? Like I say, I NEVER cry, but for a usually non-cryer, that's impressive.

      Thanks Ruby!

      Delete
  5. Me Too when read sad story just say it sad but do not cry i like the 'meh' GIF.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cried when I TFiOS, i was on the train actually and once I got to the last chapter I had to put my kindle down for a bit and just cry a bit. But usually if a book upsets me I stop reading for a bit to regain my compare, lie on my bed for ages and stare at the ceiling haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I *nearly* did but didn't... Definitely think I will in the movie, though! Thank you for commenting <3

      Delete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori