Friday, April 18, 2014

Charli Reviews: Two Boys Kissing

The two boys kissing are Craig and Harry. They're hoping to set the world record for the longest kiss. They're not a couple, but they used to be. Peter and Neil are a couple. Their kisses are different. Avery and Ryan have only just met and are trying to figure out what happens next. Cooper is alone. He's not sure how he feels. As the marathon progresses, these boys, their friends and families evaluate the changing nature of feelings, behaviour and this crazy thing called love.

Author: David Levithan
Publisher: Electric Monkey
Date of Publication: March/April 2014
Pages: 256
Source: Review copy from the publisher
Goodreads | Amazon

I received a free copy of this book from Electric Monkey in exchange for a honest review. This does not affect my review/opinions in any way. Thank you Electric Monkey!

From the very start of this book, I knew it would be thought-provoking, beautifully so. Levithan introduces the characters straight away, and the writing is powerful from the first page. It's filled with analogies and controversiality, and I adored it.

There are many different perspectives and stories within Two Boys Kissing. There are the, well, two boys kissing, for their world record, Harry and Craig. There's Avery and Ryan, the couple that are trying to work out what is happening, and Cooper, who isn't sure what's going on.

This book is almost like a celebration of LGBT; showing how society is coming to terms with LGBT, and with so many different perspectives, shows all the different sides of LGBT. But whilst it does this, it displays the other side of the equation: there still being homophobia in the world; people trying to stop the kiss etc.

"More camera crews, more protestors. 
More heat, more noise."

As I mentioned before, there are a lot of different perspectives in Two Boys Kissing. This works really well, for sure, but it gets a tiny bit confusing. And that means I can't comment on individual characters, because I simply didn't have a connection with an individual to do so. I'm not sure if I consider this as a good or bad thing, as normally I hate no having a connection, but Levithan wrote it so you didn't need it. 

The writing in this book is so powerful, so vivid. The analogies and tidbits about life make it even more thought-provoking, and just all the better; there is no other way to describe it. 

"...Dancing stops being a reality and becomes 
a metaphor. More often than not, it is an unkind one."

"We watch them grow, with sadness and amazement
and fear. We have stepped away, but not entirely away. They
know this. They sense this."

 And after everything that makes this book amazing, it has a gorgeous ending, and so I think Levithan has written an absolutely astonishing gem, here. I already loved Levithan's books but I now want to read even more. I would recommend this for older readers as there are some graphic scenes.


4 comments:

  1. Great review! As we discussed on Twittter, I also received this for review from Electric Monkey and can't wait to read it. I think this will be the review book I read first. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Holly! I think you'll really like it :)

      Delete
  2. Fab review, Charli! I've been meaning to read this one for ages - must get around to it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Arianne! Hope you like it! <3

      Delete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori