Monday, April 21, 2014

Charli Reviews: Trouble

In this dazzling debut novel, a pregnant teen learns the meaning of friendship—from the boy who pretends to be her baby’s father.

When the entire high school finds out that Hannah Shepard is pregnant via her ex-best friend, she has a full-on meltdown in her backyard. The one witness (besides the rest of the world): Aaron Tyler, a transfer student and the only boy who doesn’t seem to want to get into Hannah’s pants. Confused and scared, Hannah needs someone to be on her side. Wishing to make up for his own past mistakes, Aaron does the unthinkable and offers to pretend to be the father of Hannah’s unborn baby. Even more unbelievable, Hannah hears herself saying “yes.”

Author: Non Pratt
Publisher: Walker Books
Date of Publication: March 9th 2014
Pages: 384
Source: For review
Goodreads | Amazon

I received a free copy of this book from Walker Books in exchange for a honest review. This does not affect my review/opinions in any way. Thank you Walker!

It's been a month since I read this book, and I am still struggling to find words. I honestly don't think I can do this debut enough justice, for the author has written something amazing.

Trouble follows Hannah and Aaron; meeting when Aaron moves in to the town and hears Hannah at her worst. He offers to be the "father" of Hannah's unborn, and she actually accepts. The first thing that came to my mind when I started this was the sharp sense of reality that came with it, straight away. Pratt doesn't shy away and avoids cliches, introducing the personalities of the two characters quickly through the dual perspectives.



This book is what a contemporary should be; genuine and both funny and serious. It's hilarious in some places and hard-hitting in others. It breaks stereotypes of teen pregnancy and all the topics involved are really well handled.

I fell in love with Aaron pretty much straight away. Respecting, witty and a complete gentleman; I loved the chapters of his point of view and when I found out about his past I found it heartbreaking. There were so many things he said and did throughout the book that made me adore his character more and more.

"...just laughs. 'Man, I've done a lot more than 
that with her. It's Hannah Sheppard - it's what she's for.'
I really do not like Fletch." 

I hated Hannah to begin with. In honesty, if I'd met her as her self at the very start of the book, I would have probably slapped her. But when she became to form a bit more, of, well, a personality, and became more confident in the pregnancy, she became more a likeable character who I felt empathy for.

"I want people to think Hannah before they 
think pregnant."

So many little points that make it all the more complete and sharp, like her mum working against teen pregnancy; it made a thicker plotline, because Hannah was scared to tell her; and just little things like that.

Pratt has written an amazing debut. I can't find any faults and I know Tori also adored it; and we believe boys would enjoy it too due to the irony and dual perspective. With an authentic yet original plot played out exceptionally and a clear-cut sense of reality; I think any teenager would love it.

Oh, and PS: can we just talk about that cover? Yes, I wouldn't take it outside, but isn't it just amazing? Simple and effective. I love it! 



6 comments:

  1. I read Amber's review of this and loved the sound of Trouble, now I've read your review and love the sound of it even more. Great review Charli! I love books which are slightly controversial (like this) and I'm definitely going to pick this up soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Holly! Hope you pick it up soon!

      Delete
  2. I looove the cover! I think it's so clever! I'm not usually a fan of teen pregnancy books but this sounds so unique. Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab review, Charli! I've heard so many good things about Trouble, I can't wait to read it :)

    PS: "I wouldn't take it outside, but isn't it just amazing?" really made me laugh :D

    ReplyDelete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori