Thursday, April 03, 2014

Charli Reviews: Tribute

What if your greatest enemy was yourself?

Zara is a mage, one of the elite in a world where magic is power, and the non-magic majority live as slaves. When her slave child best friend is killed for the crime of literacy, Zara seeks revenge by spying for the rebel Knowledge Seekers. She finds her bravery and magical skill tested to the limit when a young Maker, Aidan, is taken hostage in a bid for supposed peace. Surprised by first love, she promises to help him. But before Zara can keep her promise, her secret is discovered. Hunted by her own, she seeks refuge with the Knowledge Seekers. But when you can kill with a thought, can you ever be trusted?

Author: Ellen Renner
Publisher: Hot Key Books
Date of Publication: March 6th 2014
Pages: 336
Source: Review copy from the publisher
Goodreads | Amazon

I received a free copy of this book from Hot Key Books in exchange for a honest review. This does not affect my review/opinions in any way. Thank you Hot Key! 

This book has taken me a while to review purely because I have varying things to say about it. I was gripped from page 3, but then, once I put it down, I couldn't pick it up again for a week. Maybe that was because I didn't feel like it, maybe it was because I was scared it wouldn't finish as well as it started.

I have now realised it was the latter; but I shouldn't have worried. This book was so full of an amazing fantasy, and so vivid, too, that I couldn't help but get lost in it.

"Now, sitting in the barred darkness of my
room, I reach out a finger and touch one of its
unfurled wings..." 

It began with gorgeous descriptions and introductions of characters, and I couldn't help but be dragged into the world. Tribute is unique in that it pulled me in straight away, without barely saying anything.

The flashbacks were really powerful and helped me to really understand and, if possible, get even more into the story.

I think my only problem with it was the fact that I couldn't really connect to the characters. I mean, they were introduced really well, as I said before, but after a while, I didn't feel that we were on the complete same page (no pun intended). However, I did really like Zara as a protagonist.

Overall, I did really like this, because it was gorgeously written with amazing detail, but I had little problems with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori