Thursday, April 10, 2014

Charli Reviews: Riot

Years of cuts have devastated Britain: banks are going under, businesses closing, prices soaring, unemployment rising, prisons overflowing. The authorities cannot cope. And the population has maxed out.

The solution: forced sterilisation of all school leavers without secure further education plans or guaranteed employment. The country is aghast, but the politicians are unshakeable. No more free housing for single parents, no more child benefit, no more free school meals, no more children in need.


It's time for the young to take to the streets. It's time for them to RIOT.

Author: Sarah Mussi
Publisher: Hodder Children's
Date of Publication: May 1st 2014
Pages: 352
Source: For review via NetGalley
Goodreads | Amazon

I received a free copy of this book from Hodder via NetGalley in exchange for a honest review. This does not affect my review/opinions in any way. Thank you Hodder and NetGalley!

Riot was exhilarating. That is the only way to describe it. I had a few gripes with this, but ultimately, it gripped me and I really enjoyed it.

From the absolute first sentence, Riot had me full of adrenaline. The description and action that combined beautifully made my heart stop beating.

"The riot police link arms, stare straight 
ahead like zombies."

I also loved the romance in this. It wasn't the main theme, and I'm glad it was second place to the riot theme, or it would have just become yet another romance with an interesting background topic, which I think I would have ended up hating. 
So, the negatives. My main problem with this was that it was only set 4 years into the future, 2018. Yes, our Government isn't the best, but I don't think they are going to implement these sort of systems only four years from now. It just seemed a little far-fetched for me, and that made me not enjoy it as much, because I didn't believe it.

I also felt like there was to it; adrenaline and a bit of romance. There didn't seem like there was much of a background, extra detail, except from the EVE/ADAM mystery. 

Overall, I did really enjoy this. I loved the drop in my heart that it gave me, but I wish it was a little more realistic, time frame wise. It's not perfect, but it's left me wanting to read more of Mussi's books!


4 comments:

  1. I like the sound of this book, but like you said, I just can't picture this happening in 4 years time. Something like this would take far longer to develop and set up and put into place, and if it isn't like that then it's just really unrealistic.

    Holly xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that was definitely one of my few problems with it! Our Government just isn't THAT bad!

      Thanks Holly! <3

      Delete
  2. Interesting review! I have a copy of this book on my shelves that I'd like to read soon, I hope I enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori