Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Charli Reviews: The Name on Your Wrist

It's the first thing they teach you when you start school. But they don't need to; your parents tell you when you're first learning how to say your name. It's drummed into you whilst you're taking your first stumbling steps. It's your lullaby. From the moment it first appears, you don't tell anyone the name on your wrist.

In Corin's world, your carpinomen - the name of your soul mate, marked indelibly on your wrist from the age of two or three - is everything. It's your most preciously guarded secret; a piece of knowledge that can give another person ultimate power over you. People spend years, even decades, searching for the one they're supposed to be with.

But what if you never find that person? Or you do, but you just don't love them? What if you fall for someone else - someone other than the name on your wrist?

And what if - like Corin - the last thing in the world you want is to be found?

Author: Helen Hiorns
Publisher: Random House Children's
Date of Publication: July 2013
Pages: 272
Source: For review via NetGalley
Goodreads | Amazon

I received a free copy of this book from Random House via NetGalley in exchange for a honest review. This does not affect my review/opinions in any way. Thank you Random House and NetGalley! 

This book... I'd been intrigued about this book for months, so when I saw it on NetGalley (when looking for another book no less!) I just had to request it. And I was not disappointed! From the minute I started it I loved the premise of the carpinomen, and it was executed perfectly.

Hiorns introduces the concept perfectly, using metaphors such as "it's your lullaby when you can't sit up by yourself..." and this just fascinated me further. It made me wonder who Corin's carpinomen was and who set up this system, I wanted to know everything.

I found it quite a scary thought, really- that hundreds, thousands of people could be looking for you, their soul mate. Corin is quite an uncommon name; but imagine the system now, with thousands of Charlottes, Janes, Hannahs, Ryans, Toms in the world.

The fact about how private the carpinomen was made it all the more real; the Government fed them propaganda that it was a good thing and they kept it quiet, pretending it was no more than a fairytale.

As a main character, I liked Corin. Some of the things she did were a little stupid, yes, but it was a tough situation, and, so, I get why she did the things that she did.

As you may be able to tell, the plotline and premise is what really grabbed me with this book, because it really made me think and hit me really hard.

I really enjoyed this book; the plotline was amazing. I loved the writing style and would recommend this to anyone.


4 comments:

  1. Thanks a lot for making me add to my wish list ;) This sounds SO good! I'm not keen on the cover but it sounds really interesting, and it also sounds like it may contain new ships ;P Fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me? *looks around innocently*

      I think this is your type of book, actually! I don't like the cover that much, but it at least shows kinda what the book is about, and it has ships :P

      Thanks Amber!

      Delete
  2. I'm really glad you enjoyed this, charli :D I read it quite a while ago and... I'm kinda mixed... the idea behind it was awesome and I really loved that but I couldn't get on with Corin all the time, and I wanted it to be longer... oh well, I'm fussy haha :D Super glad you liked it though, great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gee! I did read it because of you :P Corin bugged me a little bit... but... I liked the book, so meh :P

      Delete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori