Friday, April 25, 2014

Charli Reviews: Don't Even Think About It

Imagine if EVERYONE could hear your thoughts: your best friend, your worst enemy, your secret crush...

This is the story of how we became freaks. It's how a group of I's became a we.

When Class 10B got their flu shots, they expected some side effects. Maybe a sore arm. Maybe a headache. They definitely didn't expect to get telepathy. But suddenly they could hear what everyone was thinking. Their friends. Their teachers. Their parents. Now they all know that Tess has a crush on her best friend, Teddy. That Mackenzie cheated on Cooper. That Nurse Carmichael used to be a stripper. Some of them will thrive. Some of them will break. None of them will ever be the same.

Author: Sarah Mlynowski
Publisher: Hatchette Children's
Date of Publication: May 1st 2014
Pages: 338
Source: For review via NetGalley
Goodreads | Amazon

I received a free copy of this book from Hatchette via NetGalley in exchange for a honest review. This does not affect my review/opinions in any way. Thank you Hatchette and NetGalley! 

Don't Even Think About It made me, slightly ironically, think. Quite a lot, in fact, for the situation the teenagers in this book are put in made me wonder what it would be like if it really happened.

The book follows a class, Homeroom 10B, from Manhattan, but when they get a flu jab, it comes with telepathy, or ESP (Extra Special Powers). Naturally, many twists and turns happen due to this... Boy trouble, arguments, even learning horrible things about your parents!

I love the idea of mind-reading, ESP and telepathy, so I knew immediately that this would probably be my type of book. I was right; and the idea was played out perfectly, and Mlynowski set the scene and formed vivid characters. This all came together to form this amazing read.

Each character had their own story, something they wanted no-one to ever know; which, of course, didn't stay that way for long. These stories make each character a little closer to heart. My favourite ultimately, was Tess - someone who wanted to be a writer some day and was self-conscious  of her weight, body and looks. (Sound familiar, Charli?)

"She was well aware because her mother told 
her daily, and not so subtly."

Mlynowski also built up this plot of the telepathy by detailing when each character got it and their circumstances; how they felt and how they began to go about dealing with it. This really worked for me because I could connect to the characters even further. I also really liked how all of the class came together in a group and helped each other out. It had that sense of belonging and showing that they could still get along through the twists and turns. 

I loved this book. With an awesome, unique plotline and idea; developed characters, this is just a generally amazing, light, fluffy read. 

5 comments:

  1. Oooh! So glad you enjoyed this! I haven't read this yet but I really want to :) Great review, Charli!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, Charli :D I'm so glad you enjoyed this so much! I did like it, but it reaaaally bugged me because I wanted a sciency explanation at to *how* the ESP got into the vaccine, being the science nerd I am. xD I only gave this three stars, but I think I'm just one of the few people who didn't enjoy it as much- I'm glad you did, though!
    -Gee :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I wasn't so bothered about the science but it would have been nice! Thanks Gee <3

      Delete
  3. So glad you enjoyed this one, I did too!

    ReplyDelete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori