Friday, March 21, 2014

Tori Reviews: Beautiful Dead: Jonas

Note from Charli: This is Tori's first review, and I think it's great, so please leave a comment!

Something strange is happening in Ellerton High. Phoenix is the fourth teenager to die within a year. His street fight stabbing follows the deaths of Jonas, Summer and Arizona in equally strange and sudden circumstances.
Rumours of ghosts and strange happenings rip through the small community as it comes to terms with shock and loss. Darina,Phoenix's grief-stricken girlfriend, is on the verge. She can't escape her intense heartache, or the impossible apparitions of those that are meant to be dead. And all the while the sound of beating wings echo inside her head! And then one day Phoenix appears to Darina.
Ecstatic to be reunited, he tells her about the Beautiful Dead. Souls in limbo, they have been chosen to return to the world to set right a wrong linked to their deaths and bring about justice. Beautiful, superhuman and powerful, they are marked by a 'death mark' - a small tattoo of angel's wings.

Author: Eden Maguire
Publisher: Hodder Children's
Date of Publication: April 2009
Pages: 279
Series: Beautiful Dead #1
Source: Bought
Goodreads | Amazon


Honestly, I was really disappointed with this book. I decided to buy it because one of my friends at school was reading the series and said it was really good however, I have to disagree. 

The book is in Darina’s point of view and starts two days after Darina’s boyfriend, Phoenix, dies, which, as you can guess, means that she is quite depressed and unhappy. Suddenly, she sees Phoenix alive as Beautiful Dead; people who have died then have come back from beyond the grave. The Beautiful Dead have only got a year from their death to try and find out how they died and Darina has to try to discover how Jonas, a local teenage boy, died.

Although I didn’t enjoy it as much as I wished to, I loved some of the characters including Zoey and Arizona. I thought that the relationship between Zoey and Jonas was so touching and really cute! Arizona was, by far, my favourite character. She was the only one who was looking at the scene realistically and I loved her sarcasm and her remarks under her breath.

“So Darina, Jonas’s eternal future is down to you and you alone.
Wowee –zowee, Jonas, that sure makes a person stop and think”

The descriptions were written well and I could actually imagine scenes and people which does not happen in some books. I think that the descriptions of people were the best.

“Close up, his features blurred through the flickering fringe
of my lashes, but his eyes shone clear into mine.”

The main part of the reason that this book disappointed me was because of it being too unrealistic such as the mother-daughter relationship between Darina and her mother confused and annoyed me at times. It was poorly written in my opinion because she calls her mum Laura when she is describing her which doesn’t really happen. I’m sure most people call their mum, mum and not by their real name. In addition to this, one day they’re arguing which does happen between teenagers but the next day they dismiss it and start crying in each other’s arms.

 Also, it was very predictable. I have nothing against books that are predictable because sometimes it works but with this book it just made me dislike it.  They mention someone saying that they have a bad feeling about them and then suddenly, someone remembers them and this happened around the middle of the book so it was very obvious.

Overall, I did like the book seeing as it was a good plot but I will not be reading the rest of the books in the series.

2 comments:

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori