Monday, March 10, 2014

Review: A Breath of Frost

Emma Day and her two cousins, Gretchen and Penelope, are uninterested in their debutante lives. All the boring balls, tiresome curtsying and polite conversation leave much to be desired. Then a girl is found dead, frost clinging to her lifeless body, and the murder is traced to Emma. As their world is turned upside down, Emma discovers more about herself and her cousins, from her connection to the murders to the secrets of her family legacy. Now the girls must embrace their true Lovegrove inheritance in order to stop the chaos, even if that means risking their lives. Dangerously handsome Cormac Fairfax wants to help Emma – but, with secrets of his own to hide, can she trust him?

Author: Alyxandra Harvey
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Date of Publication: January 2nd 2014
Pages: 482
Source: Review copy from the publisher
Goodreads | Amazon

I received a free copy of this book from Bloomsbury in exchange for a honest review. This does not affect my review/opinions in any way. Thank you Bloomsbury!

Firstly, isn't that cover just stunning? As soon as I opened it I let out a bit of a squeal, because I just think it's so pretty! However, I have a really mixed opinion about this book, and I'm still not quite sure what to rate it!

It started out amazing, and I absolutely loved how much description there was in it; but this was what continuing throughout the book, and it became a bit too heavy and overpowering for my liking. I had to read this in short segments because I found the unbalance of action and description quite overwhelming.

"Emma held her breath, list forgotten. The second deer
was equally beautiful. She pushed farther into the grove, bluebell 
bossoms between her teeth." 

However, I found the amount of development of each character very good; particularly of our protagonist Emma. Now, I didn't really like Emma, but it was good that we got a lot of character insight throughout the entirety of the story.

As I mentioned before, there wasn't as much action as I would have hoped for a 480 page book. In honesty, I think this is where A Breath of Frost fell down; if it had been only around 300 pages I think I would have definitely enjoyed it more.

I'm not saying this was a bad book by any stretch of the imagination; I think it was beautiful and powerful, but ended up just not being the right type of book for me. I loved the romance in the book and the ending was wonderful, and I'm kind of sad that I didn't enjoy it as much as I wanted to.

 So, although I found it a bit long and the description slightly over-powering, this book was beautifully written and I loved the character formations.

2 comments:

  1. This book looks really good! sorry to see you didn't enjoy it as much, but great review. :) It annoys me when books are really long like that but lack in action, so I'm not sure I'll definitely read this... though, CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT FTW. :D haha!
    -Gee :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looked amazing, unfortunately it didn't quite work for me. YAY CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT except when there is TOO MUCH.

      Thanks Gee <3

      Delete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori