Friday, March 14, 2014

Charli Reviews: Blood Orange Soda

Darius Hunter is a bullied high school freshman. When he drinks Blood Orange Soda to transform into a Vampire and earn respect, he soon learns life as a Vampire has its own challenges.

Set in the future on the rural landscape of St. Cloud, Minnesota where pre-Vampire teens are required by the government to take a daily Red pill to prevent their urge to bite, Blood Orange Soda is a coming of age story of love, life and death.

Author:
Publisher: JML
Date of Publication: March 15th 2014
Pages: 350
Source: Review copy from the author via NetGalley
Goodreads | Amazon

I received a free copy of this book from the author via NetGalley in exchange for a honest review. This does not affect my review/opinions in any way. Thank you NetGalley and JML!

I decided to download this book on a bit of a whim after thinking it sounded like an interesting concept, and I wasn't let down!

Darius is a Goth, and will become a Vampire if he stops taking a special pill, the Reds, a Government pill to stop these pre-Vampires. His mum also takes them, because she is very ill. He takes the decision to stop taking the Reds, but also takes Blood Orange Soda to speed up the process. This, along with meeting some new people, all has it's own problems.

"He beat me because I'm a Goth on the Red pill, 
I'm not fully a human and I'm not fully a Vampire either."

Aspects and parts of this book were understated, or mildly confusing, like his mum's illness, but I thoroughly enjoyed it in the general sense. 

I think the best bit of Blood Orange Soda was the relationships, be it romantic, familial or friendly. They were all described and developed so I got a real love for each character and their relationship to our protagonist, Darius. 

As for Darius, I thought he was a purely misunderstood teenager (with the whole Vampire thing added, too). The way he talked was slightly annoying and stroppy at some points, but at others, I could see the amount of care he had for his family and friends. 

"In hers, there's a sadness- in mine,
there's actually a glimmer of hope." 

As I mentioned previously, I really liked the concept. It was almost like being a Vampire was just like an average clique, like jocks or geeks, completely normal and nothing new. Also, that Blood Orange Soda was like a sacred contraband, that had "normal" people going mad if they drank it. 
Overall, this was a really thought-provoking, enjoyable read with a unique Vampire angle. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori