Thursday, February 27, 2014

Review: Me, Suzy P

I'm Suzy Puttock (yes, Puttock with a P), fourteen years old and a total disaster magnet. My life's full of ups and downs. My loved-up big sister Amber's getting married and wants lime green bridesmaids' dresses. I'm not happy about that. But there's this hot new guy, Zach, just started at my school. I am happy about that. Only... I've had a boyfriend since forever, Danny. So now I'm all kinds of confused!

Author: Karen Saunders
Publisher: Templar
Date of Publication: January 2013
Pages: 352
Source: Review copy from the publisher
Goodreads | Amazon

I received a free copy of this book from Templar in exchange for a honest review. This does not affect my review/opinions in any way. Thank you Templar!

I've wanted to read Me, Suzy P since I interviewed Karen Saunders all the way back in November last year, and I've finally had the chance to do so! And, it definitely didn't disappoint me. I was hooked on Suzy's hilarious tales of woe and wonder from the start.

Suzy Puttock has a boyfriend, Danny. He's cute, but he doesn't do affection. Millie, her best friend, and her boyfriend Jamie basically eat each other's faces off in public, and Suzy isn't sure what's going to happen with Danny; after all, they've been together since they were 13! Her parents are embarrassing, her older sister is mad and her younger sister is a prankster. But generally, life is normal... Until Zach turns up.

Suzy decides to break-up with Danny, as it has lost it's spark, before ending up with Zach. Jade, resident Mean Girl, decides to go out with Danny. After unexpected, nasty things occur, it's all happily ever after (maybe).

Saunders made each character so unique and I came to love every single one (barring Zach and Jade. I hate them). I especially adored Harry, her younger sister, who was definitely smarter than they gave her credit for! Even Amber, the mad older sister forcing Suzy to wear a horrible bridesmaid's dress, found a special place in my heart.

At the time of reading this book I was in the car on a miserable day, and it cheered me up and made me laugh out loud time after time. It's one of those books that you can just sit back and enjoy, there's nothing to overthink and nothing to worry about, except who you want Suzy to end up with! I loved that, unlike the heavy dystopias and fantasy I normally read, I could just sit back and relax.

I couldn't stop reading it! I finished it in one sitting, in about an hour and a half. I absolutely adored everything about it. I could definitely imagine being there even though there wasn't any particularly heavy description, because of Suzy's loud, teenage voice in the book.

I also loved the spark that Suzy had. One of the things I picked up on quite early on was that Suzy almost created caricatures of members of her family, such as her Great Aunt "Loon".     

At the time of writing this I have also read the sequel and I can't wait for the third book to come out next year! It's too long to wait!

This book was a really quick read that I could just sit back and enjoy. The characters are all uniquely crafted and Saunders has created a perfect world (except me wanting hot chocolate every time they went to Bojangles!)


                                                                                                       

4 comments:

  1. This book was hilarious! I loved it. Fantastic review Charli! I definitely agree with you. I think it was an amazing book to just chill out with, very light =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like a good read! Especially the hot chocolate bit! Might try this one
    Great review XD

    ReplyDelete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori