Sunday, February 16, 2014

Review: Far From You

Nine months. Two weeks. Six days.

That's how long recovering addict Sophie's been drug-free. Four months ago her best friend, Mina, died in what everyone believes was a drug deal gone wrong - a deal they think Sophie set up. Only Sophie knows the truth. She and Mina shared a secret, but there was no drug deal. Mina was deliberately murdered.

Forced into rehab for an addiction she'd already beaten, Sophie's finally out and on the trail of the killer - but can she track them down before they come for her?

Author: Tess Sharpe
Publisher: Indigo
Date of Publication: March 27th 2014
Pages: 352
Source: Review copy from the publisher
Goodreads | Amazon

I received a free copy of this book from Indigo in exchange for a honest review. This does not affect my review/opinions in any way. Thank you Indigo!

This review is definitely not going to do this book enough justice; I cannot stress that enough. Heart-stopping; I can barely form words about it! It's full of everything I want, a thrilling, yet gorgeously written.

How is this a debut? Sharpe's writing is thought-provoking; extraordinarily vivid and full of emotional language that made even me shed a few tears. I haven't read a contemporary so powerful for a long time; relatable, yet miles away from my own world.

The protagonist, Sophie, has lost her best friend, Mina; she was murdered, taking with her a secret that only she and Sophie knew. I think part of the reason this hit me so hard was because I could relate to the death of a best friend; but yet, it was so different to myself, as Mina was murdered.
Sophie has to deal with so much; Mina's death; a drug habit; almost dying herself twice... And you'd think this would be overpowering throughout the book, and, yet, it's not.

As a protagonist generally, Sophie was one of those characters that I just want to give a hug. Yes, she seemed a bit of the rebellious type, but she'd been through so much, and still was. And, now, looking for the murderer.

My only fault about it was the time changes in each chapter; as I got confused every now and then. But looking back, this was almost definitely my own fault for not properly looking at it at the start of each chapter.

The way Sharpe also made the book have an LGBT theme made it all the more phenomenal. With everything else going on, I thought even more would make all the details go a little hazy over each other... But it didn't.

Phenomenally written and completely spine-tingling; I can't do this debut enough justice or recommend it more to anyone who wants a contemporary with something unique.

2 comments:

  1. This is an amazing review, I think it does the book justice better than my review, haha! :) I loved FAR FROM YOU so much. It was amazing, wasn't it? Really unexpected and beautifully written :') I thought I'd commented on this review before, but I hadn't.... meh, I'm commenting now! :D
    -Gee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SOOOO beautiful!! Just phenomenal <3333

      Thanks Gee!! <3

      Delete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori