Saturday, February 08, 2014

Books and Bullying Go Hand in Hand; In More Ways Than One


No, I'm not talking about bullying being in books. A little more personal. 

I've had a passion for reading since I could listen to my mum reading books. I've been reading since I was about 3. I love it.

Books are what got me through primary school. Throughout horrendous bullying from years 2-6, I kept a book on my person, reading, taking me to another world (for any slow people; that is why my blog name is what it is). I had friends, I had somewhere else to be.

Of course, in the playgrounds, the bullies would approach me and take my book out of my hands. I found good places to hide and read. However, you get those annoying people who come up to you like "what you reading?" *shows cover* "oh cool. I've read/haven't read that." *sits, bored*. But it was always better than the bullying.

I was reading teen books when I was 8; I started reading YA when I was 11. The teachers would watch me if they were on duty, sitting in an enclosed corner, reading, and marvel when I bought a new book each day.

Of course, it was different when I was best friends with Simran. Super Simmi and Chick Charli. I was still bullied when she wasn't around, but I didn't have to lug a book out into the playground and risk getting it dirty. And then, and most of you know, the walls came crashing down when Simran died in November, 2010.

It all started again. The cycle.

But my point is, books and bullying do go hand in hand. Inadvertently, I suppose. They get so many people through rubbish at school, home, or just whisk them away to another place.

Just don't take Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire into the playground. Don't do that. Personal experience.

And you know, I don't think this post will help anyone. It wasn't intended to, really. If it does, that's great. It was more to show how bullying and books are inadvertently similar, and my own experiences.

Charli :)

10 comments:

  1. I agree with you so much, Charli! I was also bullied at school (a very long time ago now!) and used books as an escape, certain authors helped me through my teenage years more than anything else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a moving post, Charli, and I think it will help anyone being bullied because it shows so powerfully the healing power of books. Thank you for sharing your story x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Siobhan! I hope it does because books were always there for me.

      Delete
  3. Hi Charli,

    This is a really beautiful post; thank you so much for having the courage to share this with your readers! I loved reading it, and think it was such an interesting post, not about bullying IN books, but how they help. You never should have been bullied - count on me when I say you are one of the nicest people I(virtually) know.

    See you,

    Sophie:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sophie <3 ditto to you, you're awesome :)

      Delete
  4. This is an excellent post and I'm so glad you've wrote it. I've had my books stolen if I've read them at school and if that hasn't been the case then several times they have been graffitied in.Over the years I've come up with a few reasons as to why I've been bullied and I reckon that one of them was because I love reading.

    You are a truly lovely person and I'm sorry that you were bullied, I know from seven years of it that it's a terrible thing to go through. I'm really sorry about Simran as well. I've read a few posts here that featured Simran but I didn't realise she'd passed away. Again I know it's not the same by you know I lost my friend Alex in September 2011 and so hopefully I can provide some sort of empathy.

    Holly x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Holly. It's horrible that you've been bullied, too, and I can't believe people would steal your books x

      Delete
  5. I can relate to your story. I was also bullied at school, I've experienced it also and it's not it's easy to avoid them. I love reading you post. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori