Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Review: Looking For Alaska

Miles Halter is fascinated by famous last words and tired of his safe life at home. He leaves for boarding school to seek what the dying poet Francois Rabelais called the "Great Perhaps." Much awaits Miles at Culver Creek, including Alaska Young. Clever, funny, screwed-up, and dead sexy, Alaska will pull Miles into her labyrinth and catapult him into the Great Perhaps.

Author: John Green
Publisher: HarperCollins
Date of Publication: July 2006
Pages: 268
Source: Borrowed from library
Goodreads | Amazon

Looking For Alaska. What was my first thought? Ooh, it must be about going to Alaska. No, it isn't... And now we've cleared that up; Looking For Alaska is a poignant, beautiful story about a boy, Miles, who goes off to a boarding school and experiences a lot of things that he definitely wouldn't beforehand! Alaska and Chip take him on a journey that he'll never forget.

From the descriptive introduction to the thought-provoking finish, I was enthralled. Green has faultlessly developed his characters and the relationships in the book; the introduction begins to show Miles' personality and it continues to evolve throughout the book. For the entirety of the book, there is description of Miles himself, the other characters and all his surroundings. Also, there are lots of hidden emotions, and we can see that through tricks such as when Miles uses irony to hide his sadness.



I absolutely adored Chip, not in a book-boyfriend fashion, but he is the perfect secondary character! He definitely needs his very own spin-off book; he's humorous, interesting and he doesn't care what others think!  Alaska was very much like this too, but still almost bipolar to Chip as a character.

There are lots of tricks in this book that intrigue us. The introduction of Alaska is when Chip is talking to Miles about her; she isn't there and we only see her as Chip sees her, which is really interesting to read.

Two quotes I loved were...

" '...I call us the Culver Creek nothings.'
...I didn't quite understand the point of watching 
your terrible team get walloped..."

I thought this one showed how Miles and Chip got along, especially at the beginning where Miles is learning about Culver Creek. 

" 'It's the eternal struggle, Pudge. The Good versus the Naughty.' "

This is a softer quote by Chip. I thought this one was absolutely beautiful and perfectly reflected the book.

Looking For Alaska is a touching book with a funny air but is a real tear-jerker by the end... I wasn't sure whether to rate this at 4.5/5 or 5/5, because although I absolutely loved it, I felt like something was missing. But, ultimately, I'm going to rate it... 

 
Charli x

4 comments:

  1. *happy sigh* I love John Green's books. The Fault in Our Stars is my favourite but I adore this one too - IT'S JUST SO BEAUTIFUL. The metaphors and the characters and the feels. John is so good as writing about teenagers realistically.

    So glad you enjoyed this one! :D Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paper Towns is his only I haven't read now!! IT'S JUST AMAZING AHHHH! Thanks Zoe! <3

      Delete
  2. Yay I'm so glad you enjoyed this! Ive actually only read JG's TFIOS and Let It Snow, though I think I have a copy of this. Must dig it out!

    ReplyDelete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori