Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Review: Dash and Lily's Book of Dares

I've left some clues for you.
If you want them, turn the page.
If you don't, put the book back on the shelf, please.

Lily has left a red notebook full of challenges on a favorite bookstore shelf, waiting for just the right guy to come along and accept its dares. But is Dash that right guy? Or are Dash and Lily only destined to trade dares, dreams, and desires in the notebook they pass back and forth at locations across New York? Could their in-person selves possibly connect as well as their notebook versions? Or will they be a comic mismatch of disastrous proportions? Rachel Cohn and David Levithan have written a love story that will have readers perusing bookstore shelves, looking and longing for a love (and a red notebook) of their own.

Author: David Levithan and Rachel Cohn
Publisher: MiraINK
Date of Publication: Oct 2012
Pages: 260
Source: Gifted (Thank you Debbie!!)
Goodreads | Amazon

I read Dash and Lily's Book of Dares over the festive period and it was a great light-hearted read, perfect for Christmas! I normally hate Christmas reads, but Dash and Lily, with the mysterious element and humorous narrative was a fresh change to the average Christmas book.

Dash and Lily's is a cute read about when Lily is pushed by her brother to leave a red notebook with clues in it for a boy to find in a bookstore. She meant for him to work it out and leave his email, but Dash has other ideas and decides that two can play at the game...

All throughout the book, description is used by both of the protagonists so I felt more like I was there, and I had more of a connection with the characters; especially since a lot of their musings were about each other! It was really interesting to read about what they thought each other would look and be like.

Although both Lily and Dash's personalities were clear, they still had a hint of mystery. I think this was because of the fact that there was mystery about the other; but because it is told in split point of view, this is very cleverly done. I loved both of the protagonists; Dash as a very sarcastic, bookish character, and Lily just in general.

The character development and the history that we get is astounding, because it's done within the notebook; they ask each other about their memories and wishes, and from this I got such an insight into them that I found a deep, deep love for them both.

I also really liked the continuation of tiny themes within the book, such as the fact that Dash said he wanted an Oxford English Dictionary (unabridged, of course), so there were quite a few little definitions of words here and there. These little details just made the book even more perfect!

The development and cuteness over the last few chapters made me sigh and fangirl so much! This review may sound professional, but on the inside, I had to stop myself from it turning into a big fangirly mess...

So, as you may be able to tell, I absolutely loved Dash and Lily's Book of Dares. It's a perfect Winter read, and the characters and plotline are to die for.

Charli x

9 comments:

  1. Great Review Charli! I've heard so many good things about this and I love the idea of it. It looks like a nice fun short read that will keep me entertained. Glad you enjoyed it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. EEP I LOVE THIS BOOK! Totally agree with you! I gave it 5 stars too. It is such a cute read and it made me laugh so much. I was sucked into the book and was so attached to the characters. I love Dash! :D Oh and I love the Oxford Dictionary thing too. Great review, Charli <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it amazing?! I absolutely loved it. OED <3

      Thanks Zoe!

      Delete
  3. Hm...I was planning to read this, and I just never got round to it - I wanted to pick it up in Waterstones the other day, and I just decided it didn't look that different - your review's made me think otherwise though, so I might pick it up next time! Your reviews are really great and well put Charli, I always enjoy reading them! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should, Orli!! Thank you so much :D

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay I'm so glad you liked this! I'd forgotten about the little definitions, that was so adorable. And that scene when they get locked in that room! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesssss!! <3 Thank you SO much for giving it to me!

      Delete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori