Thursday, January 09, 2014

Review: Drawn

Sasha has a secret... Her strange gift makes her a burden to her foster family and a total freak of nature. Not that Sasha cares. Why should she when no one cares about her?

Then the CIA knocks on her door. They want to give Sasha a new identity and drop her into a foreign country to infiltrate a ring of zealous graffiti terrorists. They want to give Sasha something to care about. To survive a world where no one is who they seem, Sasha needs to make people trust her. But when that trust blossoms into love, Sasha is forced to decide between duty and friendship, between her mind and her heart, and whether to tell the truth or keep her secrets.

Author: Cecilia Gray
Publisher: Gray Life, LLC
Date of Publication: Dec 15 2013
Pages: 325
Source: From the author via NetGalley
Goodreads | Amazon

I received a free copy of this book from the author via NetGalley in exchange for a honest review. This does not affect my review/opinions in any way. Thank you!

I'm still not entirely sure about this book and it was definitely a book that people would either love or hate! Due to my stupid tablet, I had to reread 30% of this before, so, hopefully, that will be benefictial to the review.

The book wasn't exactly my normal type of book, and to begin with, I was unsure of it. I also wasn't sure on what was happening. Once I got into it, though, and the plotline thickened, I found it quite an enjoyable, mysterious read. It certainly got better in the second half.

The plot was rather hard to get my head around; it was original (which is always a good thing in the YA community these days) but a little confusing. The basics of it were that Sasha had a secret, a gift, but the CIA then came to employ here, in a foreign country.

I wasn't particularly keen on the protagonist, Sasha; she was quite stiff and to the point. Gray showed her thoughts in good detail, though, which gave us more insight to her. I loved many of the secondary characters in the book... Each one's personality shined through, and they were all back grounded sufficiently.

I absolutely adored the comic strips, of Sasha's past, at the start of every chapter! They were gorgeous and gave me so much more understanding into Sasha and her secret.

It intrigued me, although it dragged at points, it had an unsolvable mystery within it.

I also found that Gray described everything specifically, and Sasha appeared to particularly talk about food...

"I give the fries every ounce of my attention to avoid
eye contact... I palm a handful from the edges, chewing even
as they burn the roof of my mouth..."

Overall, Drawn was an interesting read; although it wasn't of my usual style. I also think YA readers slightly older than me would enjoy it more! 

1 comment:

  1. I like the sound of this one! Even though it was confusing at times, it sounds original and really clever. The comic strips sound good... I love illustrations in books :D I don't think I've ever read a book where there's a comic strip at the beginning strip of each chapter before. It's a shame that you didn't like the protagonist, to-the-point characters can get a bit annoying.

    Great review, Charli! :)

    ReplyDelete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori