Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Discussion: How Much Time Do YOU Spend Blogging?











SO. The other day, and there have been many other times besides, I was asked "Why do you run this little thing? You don't make any money," (which is for another discussion, hold your rants) "How long do you spend on it, anyway? 5, 10 minutes?". My jaw almost literally dropped. 

As book bloggers, and I'm sure any other type of blogger does too, we (or, for the most part of us) take huge pride in our blogs and spend hours on them! We don't plagiarise others (that's also another discussion to be had- hold your horses), and we come up with original content.

This little graphic I made (ah, see, I'm sticking to my resolution) shows just some of the stuff we do. We have to do so much!

Reviews, posts can take up to an hour.
Marketing, emailing and writing interview questions is sometime we have to do daily, to build a readership.
HTML takes time to learn and put together (or find, if you only need a bit of it and it's not plagaurisim because you are allowed to use it!).
The reading takes as long as it needs to... We can't write reviews without the reading, can we not?

I think, including the reading, I spend up to a day (24 hours) in total every week on my blog. And I have school, homework, clubs. Some bloggers spend longer than that!

Now, obviously, this is all out of choice. I'm not ranting about how long I have to spend on my blog, I do it because I want to, don't get me wrong.

BUT, I get a tad annoyed when people say something like that. I mean, yes, they probably won't know quite the extent of it, but 10 minutes? Really? 

How long do you spend on your blog?

Do you ever have to forfeit blogging, reading or something else at any point?

12 comments:

  1. 10-15 minutes? Who are these clueless people? I know that I don't spend as often as I'd like on my blog these days but generally speaking I spend at least 20-25 hours a week on it when I'm properly blogging. Which is the same as a part time job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I'm the same, but I spend a LOT of time on it. A few people have said it's sad that I blog too. It's so annoying!

      Delete
  2. YES YES YES *nods enthusiastically*

    Blogging takes out such a huge chunk of my day. It isn't just a hobby that I can spend a few minutes a day doing or leave it for a few weeks. Book blogging takes up a lot of my life and I don't think many people realise how much work it takes. After I've written reviews, formated the post, design, update Twiter or other social media sites, answered emails, read and comment on other blogs, make sure the sidebar and widgets don't go out of date, and organise interviews/guest posts with bloggers and authors, we barely have time to actually read! Depending on the day, I usually spend about 2 hours blogging a day. Sometimes I won't blog at all because of school n stuff, or sometimes I'll quickly post a pre-sheduled post and that will take about 10 minutes to promote it etc. But usually I try to do some everyday. HOWEVER, even though it's hard work, I love it :D

    Interesting post, Charli!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Nods* Totally. There's more than just the post, which is the bit that some people don't realise, like marketing and emailing... What I like to call behind-the-scenes, haha!

      Thanks Zoe!

      Delete
  3. Great, great, great post. I know I shouldn't feel insulted, but I kind of do when people ask me questions like that. I see blogging as any other hobby. They are things that take hours. It takes hours to paint a picture that you may make no money off of. What's so wrong about working on a blog for the same amount of time? People practice musical instruments for hours. Some people write poetry. And what about those high school football games that take hours of practice a week? There is so much to work on and consider with any hobby and book blogging--or any blogging--is the same. Thank you so much for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I shouldn't be annoyed, as how would they know, but I'm always a little bugged! Great comparisons, too. Thank you for the lovely comment! <3

      Delete
  4. 10 minutes only? Who'd say that really? I usually try to have as many posts scheduled during my days off work, cause I don't have time on the days I work to prepare blog entries. Writing a review takes time, even more depending on the book on how you are at that particular moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I'm not at work yet, of course, but I have a lot of school work, so my weekends are heavily made up of blogging. Thank you!

      Delete
  5. LOVE the notebook graphic, Charli! :D
    TEN MINUTES. *splutters* Ten. TEN MINUTES. I just whaaaaatttttt xD Whoa! I guess I spend as much time as you! I spend about ten minutes writing notes on a book after I finish it. Writing a proper review takes at least forty minutes. Reading a book roughly 350 pages would take me collectively three hours. Designing blog posts each week collectively is about three hours too. Then making up ideas for posts that aren't reviews every week or two, that's another few! And then there's all of the going-out-into-the-world-to-buy-some-books-and-spend-hours-staring-at-books. GAH.
    This post was awesome but it's just made me realise I'm lacking a social life. Um. *shuffles away* :D
    -Gee :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Georgiaaa! I KNOW RIGHT. 10 MINUTES. WHAT. There is so much to do and yet people don't realise.

      Thanks so much! <3

      Delete
  6. 10 minutes!! Crazy talk! Including time spent reading I spend about 25 hours a week and that's in addition to my "real" job at which I spend about 50 hours a week.

    ReplyDelete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori