Thursday, December 05, 2013

Things I Would Have Done Differently At The Start

So. It's been nearly 5 months, and I'm starting to get into it properly, now. Today I was thinking about things I would have done differently at the start of my book bloggy life (not bloggy life, because RTSG was a completely different kettle of fish). 

Requesting. 

I wasn't too bad with this, requesting too many or anything, but I found that I requested stuff I wouldn't be able to get with my experience, and although you don't take it personally, it does knock you. Also, I became a little too eager with NetGalley...

Scheduling

At first, I didn't THINK about scheduling my reviews at intervals, so they all came out in lumps with only little gaps where I had some random post. Nowadays I schedule ahead and have gaps in between my reviews.

Accepting over Twitter *facepalm*

In my review policy it says to only request over email. BUT a few authors have just popped up and offered review copy pdf's, and I didn't know anything about the book but accepted. Now I have two books I have to read and review... One looks okay, but the other...

Email requests

At the start, I wasn't quite sure how to request books. And I know I sounded arrogant (which I'm not), scared (which I was, but you're not supposed to sound it) or pompous (see arrogant) in the maojority. THERE WAS EVEN ONE WHERE I DIDN'T MENTION MY BLOG *facewall*

So, those are just a few bits and bobs I could have done differently. Um. The purpose of this post: try not to do these things! Yeah. 

Charli x

6 comments:

  1. When I first started blogging (3/4 months ago), I went overboard with requests.
    I signed up for NetGalley since February but I just started using it. I have 5 books pending and 2 on my shelf but most of them are ARCs to be released next year so I have time :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good! The ones I have are all Dec/Jan, but I'm getting through them :)

      Delete
  2. I completely agree with you Charli, is it OK if I steal your idea and do a post like this? Of course I would mention you! I was terrible at writing review requests. I didn't even now I how to write them. But I wish I would have waited about a few months or so to get my blog started properly before requesting like mad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fine Erika as long as I'm mentioned! Perhaps you can make a banner for it :)

      Delete
  3. I hope you don't mind but I'd like to do the same as Erika has if that's okay with you Charli? And of course, I'll given you a mention! I absolutely agree with many of your points there and there's so many things I wish I'd done differently and hopefully people can learn from that.

    I noticed what you said about requesting reviews: If you have a chance please could you tell me how I should request reviews, I've never done this before and am very uncertain as to how to do so?

    Holly x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely fine! :)

      I'll try and explain to you maybe over BBM when I get a chance :) xx

      Delete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori