Sunday, December 01, 2013

Review: Forgotten

Each night when 16 year-old London Lane goes to sleep, her whole world disappears. In the morning, all that's left is a note telling her about a day she can't remember. The whole scenario doesn't exactly make high school or dating that hot guy whose name she can't seem to recall any easier. But when London starts experiencing disturbing visions she can't make sense of, she realizes it's time to learn a little more about the past she keeps forgetting-before it destroys her future.

Author: Cat Patrick
Publisher: Egmont
Date of Publication: June 2011
Pages: 280
Source: For review
Goodreads | Amazon

I received a free copy of this book from Egmont in exchange for a honest review. This does not affect my review/opinions in any way. Thank you Egmont!

As soon as I'd been offered this to review and had checked out the synopsis, I knew it was for me. I've read quite a few amnesia books, but never anything quite like this. Every night when London goes to bed, she has to write about what has happened to her that day, and that is how she gets by... Because every night she forgets everything. It's a slightly heart-breaking contemporary full of intrigue, and I loved it.

The book starts with a question, before beginning to mention the notes that she makes. This pulled me in straight away. We begin to wonder why theses notes matter so much, and from the beginning there are lots of character thoughts and emotion, which we really need at the beginning because we don't know- and neither does she!- what is happening.

I love the insight we get of London. We see how she thinks about seeing the future but never knowing what has happened just the night before, and if that description and heavy insight wasn't there, we wouldn't really understand what was going on in the book.

I mentioned before that it was slightly heart-breaking; if she hadn't written something down, she didn't know. For instance, in one scene, there is a girl called Carley and London doesn't know why she hates her so much (which can happen in real-life) and genuinely doesn't know what she has done. Another scene was the day after her first date with Luke; they fell asleep and woke up in the morning, and so London had forgotten.

"I can't believe I missed what might 
have been my best date ever..."

The romance is beautifully described, and so are the characters, particularly Luke. She describes Luke almost everytime she saw him, slightly differently each time, because she didn't remember him. 

Amnesia type books are sometimes awful, purely because the author doesn't have experience or there isn't enough happening, or they can't describe what has happened in the point of view, so the slant with the notes and being able to see the future made it beautiful, and well-written. It was also a refreshing change.

I loved Forgotten; I loved the uniqueness, the essence, the description. I found it sublime. 

Charli x

4 comments:

  1. I picked this one up at my library the other day, and I found it very intriguing but since it isn't usually my type of book I was hesitant... but your positive review has definitely makes me want to read it more! Have you read any other Cat Patrick books?
    Lovely review! Also, great colour scheme, I love purple! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! That's awesome. I haven't read any others but I really want to.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I think Cat Patrick has such amazing ideas for stories. And Forgotten is my favourite of hrs..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read her others, though after this I really want to! :)

      Delete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori