Saturday, October 26, 2013

Review: Finding Your Inner Cherokee

"Introduction: Bullying is something I feel very passionately about and I wrote the novel in the hope that anyone reading it who was being bullied would find inspiration and strength in Cherokee’s story. After the book came out, I started receiving emails from readers telling me how it had affected them. Some of them wrote that they’d imagined what Cherokee would do in their situation and this gave them the confidence to stand up to their bullies. Others told me that the book had made them feel happier by reminding them that they were not alone. When I realised how the novel was helping people it made me want to do more. And so the idea for this free e-book was born. Finding Your Inner Cherokee is a non-fiction guide, full of case studies, exercises and advice, designed to help reassure and empower victims of bullying. Just like the main character in my novel, we all have an inner ‘Cherokee’ – a part of us that is happy and care-free and strong. But when we are being bullied it’s very easy to lose sight of this part of ourselves. I wrote this guide to try and help people rediscover their confidence, uniqueness and strength – to help them find their own inner Cherokee – and overcome their bullies." - Siobhan Curham's website

Author: Siobhan Curham
Pages: 72
Format: Free ebook for Anti-bullying Week
Source: For review

I received an early copy of this ebook from the author in return for an honest review. This does not affect my review/views in any way
 
I normally don't ever review non-fiction, but I knew this advice ebook from Siobhan Curham was something I had to read and review for myself. It's a FREE ebook, full of case studies, stories, exercises and techniques that will help anyone that is being bullied.

The ebook is unlike most other bullying guides. It doesn't contain lots of sympathy, though it contains lots of empathy, and doesn't try to skirt round the truth of bullying. Curham is quick to define what bullying is and share her own experience of bullying, which starts it off well and isn't unsettling, like so many other bullying guides. That's the key thing about this ebook, it doesn't bother trying to make you feel sorry for yourself, it shows the cold, hard side of bullying and helps you tackle it. I certainly wish I'd had it when I was being bullied for a total of around 5 years during primary school.

One specific little exercise the ebook contains is "power tweets", which, like tweets are under 140 characters, are basically little statements that you can post around your room, house etc to uplift you when the bullying is getting you down.

 “Other people have got through this – and I will too.”

The exercises that the ebook contains are things unspecific to bullying in some ways, such as listing your favourite things, but when you look deeper, you can see how they associate. One I liked was where Curham explained how you should forgive the bully, and how it's similar to "‘Not forgiving is like drinking a cup of poison and hoping the other person will die.’", or in this case, "‘Not forgiving your bully is like drinking poison and hoping the bully will die.’".  Through various exercises, case studies and little power tweets, this ebook is obviously going to help many young people in the near future.

At the end of the ebook, there is a poem which was written for Curham's competition. It is uplifting, and can I just say, it is awesome! It's by my blogger friend Amber, which makes it even more awesome. So, if you're not being bullied, I'd download it to see the poem!

This ebook will be avaliable, for free, on November 1st, 2013. Beat bullies and be happy! :D

I'm not rating this because it's non-fiction and the rating wouldn't be fairly placed, but it's extremely good and I'd really recommend it for anyone who is going through bullying, either now or in the future.

Charli x

8 comments:

  1. This looks very interesting. I've never actually gotten bullied, partially because I've been homeschooled for most of my life but I think this is something I might like to take a look at! Brilliant review, Charli :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is. That's good, it's not a nice thing to experience. Thanks, Erika!

      Delete
  2. Such an interesting review on a different kind of book, but one we probably need more of :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't read a great deal of non-fiction, but I'm glad that something like this exists. I'll download a copy right away. Thanks for drawing this to my attention! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither do I, but I had to read this. Thanks for reading and commenting! :D

      Delete
  4. Great review, Charli! I, like you, don't often read e-book non-fiction but I was so glad to be offered this one for review! Nice to see you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Arianne! It was nice to read this for a change :D

      Delete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori