Saturday, September 14, 2013

Review: Hidden

For as long as Ebony can remember, she's been sheltered. Confined to her home in a secluded valley, home-schooled by her protective parents, and limited to a small circle of close friends. It's as if she's being hidden. But something is changing in Ebony. Something that can't be concealed. She's growing more beautiful by the day, she's freakishly strong, and then there's the fact that she's glowing. On one fateful night, Ebony meets Jordan and she's intensely drawn to him. It's as if something explodes inside of her--something that can be seen from the heavens. Ebony still doesn't know that she's a stolen angel, but now that the heavens have found her, they want her back.

Author: Marianne Curley
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Date of Publication: March 14th, 2013
Series: Hidden #1 
Pages: 325
Source: For review
Goodreads | Amazon 

I received a copy for free from Bloomsbury in change for an honest review. This does not affect my review in any way. 

 I absolutely loved this! It's a gripping read with a powerful "mystery". I loved this from the first sentence; I wanted to know more about the characters and what was going to happen. By page 4, I was wondering if she was really a normal teen. By 6 chapters in, I couldn't leave it alone.

I don't normally talk about covers in reviews, but the cover of Hidden is absolutely gorgeous! I'm not shamed to say I probably wouldn't have requested if it hadn't had such a beautiful cover! 

I liked the fact that the chapters were split point of view's between Ebony and Jordan, so we saw the whole story before the two characters became linked. Another amazing thing was the balance between there being something wrong and them being normal teens, as opposed to what else they were. Even when she found out, she was still a normal teen. I loved the author's writing style.

Towards the end, a few details became slightly hazy and I didn't understand quite what was going on, but it didn't affect the book from being amazing, or the ending. The killer last sentence hit me, too!

One of the main things about this book were the characters. Jordan was a classic boy; sarcastic and ironic. One of the quotes from the boys, "Dude, I react to any pretty girl...". And I had to chuckle at "Did I say how messed up this world is?" from him. Ebony is very serious and curious. All of the characters, main, secondary and even those that only appear once or twice, were extremely well-formed and I could imagine them exactly.

There were so many beautiful events and quotes in this book, but I had to pick a few out! One beautifully mysterious last sentence at the end of a chapter: "Actually, Amber, I have to find out what I am...". Another was "His voice grows serious. 'You have the choice of making this easy or hard.' 'I'll live my life the way I want.' " . There were so many hard hitting quotes like this in the book, which had me gripped at every sentence.

Overall, this was an intriguing read, full of mystery and killing sentences.




Charli x

3 comments:

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori