Monday, September 02, 2013

Author Spotlight: Jaimie Admans

Jaimie is a 28-year-old English-sounding Welsh girl with an awkward-to-spell name. She lives in South Wales and enjoys writing, gardening, drinking tea and watching horror movies. She hates spiders and cheese & onion crisps. She has been writing for years, but has never before plucked up the courage to tell people. She is the author of chick-lit romantic comedy Kismetology and YA Paranormal romantic comedy Afterlife Academy. Not Pretty Enough is her fourth book.




Welcome to To Another World, Jaimie!

You now have four novels published! How does that feel?

Oh my god, it's unreal. Absolutely unreal. I never thought I'd have the
courage to tell people I wrote books, never mind actually have them out
there for people to read! It's a brilliant feeling!

What inspired you to start writing, particularly for YA?


Reading YA! I started reading it after I had gone through all of Meg
Cabot's adult books and wanted something else, and it just snowballed from
there really. I read every YA book I could get my hands on, and I was
desperate to try writing it but had to wait for the right plot idea to come
along. That ended up being Not Pretty Enough, it was actually the first YA
book I ever wrote!

Not Pretty Enough looks really good, and the cover is particularly
beautiful! Why did you chose this design?

   
Thank you! I always knew the cover would be something with the main
character on the front, she's the biggest part of the book after all, and I
wanted it to look quite summer-y. The book isn't entirely set in the summer,
but I think it's quite a summer-y read and the release date was set for
August, so all the grass just screamed 'summer' at me. It was exactly what I
wanted!

Are any of your characters based on you or people you know?

Yes! Far too many of them actually! Chessie is very much like me, and a
couple of the incidents mentioned in the book did actually happen in real
life, although the have been greatly exaggerated and changed for fictional
purposes! You can't help but use little characteristics or traits of people
you know, and when you're writing a scene, you can't help but think of how
you would respond or react to what's happening so a bit of that sneaks in as
well!

I've heard so many great things about Not Pretty Enough, and I really
want to read it! Can you entice me and my readers with a teaser line?


How about a teaser paragraph?
"There’s a common misconception that everyone wants big boobs. Let me tell
you something: they don’t. If they’re fourteen and have a chest bigger than
most of their school, including the teachers, they don’t. I’m a DD cup.
People pay thousands of pounds to have their boobs enlarged to be smaller
than mine. I can’t remember the last time I passed for a half fare on the
bus. Or the last time a bus driver asked my face and not my chest for the
fare. Everyone notices boobs when you’re my age. In fact, the only human in
the world who doesn’t notice them is the one person I would quite like to
notice them.
Lloyd Layton.
I’d quite like him to notice my personality too, but at this point just
noticing my mere existence will do. "

And now, some questions just for fun!

I ask all my authors this question! You're stuck on an island, what three
items do you take? (And because I've learnt from experience of you creative
types, you are stuck! Nothing that can help you get off!!)


Books, books, and more books! (I wanted to say my phone, charger, and
obviously there would be an electricity supply to this island, right?
Right?) I'd take a lot of books, enough to keep me entertained for months,
I'd be useless at survival techniques so one of them would have to be How To
Survive On A Desert Island For Dummies!

Favourite author/s? Sophie Kinsella, Meg Cabot, Judy Blume.

What would your "last meal" be if you had the choice? Pizza! Or maybe
pasta. I love pasta with anything, but as a last meal calories wouldn't be
important so I'd go for pizza! And glazed doughnuts for dessert, please!

Role model? I don't think I have a role model, as such. I really
admire a guy called Jonathan Larson, who wrote the musical Rent but died
before he got to see it's success. His story reminds me that life is too
short to put off things I want to do.

Favourite board game? Monopoly!
 
Just a few quick this or that questions to finish off!

Ebook or physical?
Ebooks, just for the space factor - I can't fit any
more physical books in my house!
Pink or purple? Purple.
Chocolate or sweets? Chocolate... No, sweets... No, chocolate... No...
Can't I have both?

 
Thank you so much for this interview, Jaimie!
  

Connect with Jaimie on her website, Twitter and Facebook  

 Charli

5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for having me today, Charli! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for coming on here! You're awesome :)

      Delete
  2. YAY, two of my fave twitter people chatting, what could be more awesome? Great interview! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun interview!!! I'm a huge Judy Blume, pizza, and Rent fan!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori