Sunday, August 18, 2013

Review: What's Left of Me (Buddy Read with Ruby @ Feed Me Books Now!!!)

Imagine that you have two minds, sharing one body. You and your other self are closer than twins, better than friends. You have known each other forever.

Then imagine that people like you are hated and feared. That the government want to hunt you down and tear out your second soul, separating you from the person you love most in the world.

Now meet Eva and Addie.

They don’t have to imagine.

Author: Kat Zhang
Publisher: HarperCollins
Pages: 343
Source: Bought
Goodreads | Amazon

I read this for a buddy-read with Ruby, and I think we both enjoyed it. We found a few flaws and bits we enjoyed.

One thing that was really good was the concept. The fact that two people are born, but only one becomes dominant and lives, fascinated me. The whole "hybrid" notion, where one stays inside them was equally as fascinating. I hated the fact that if they were hybrid they were automatically bad; a lot of this book shakes up your emotions quite a lot, which I always like in a book.

However, I found some of it quite confusing. At first, it was quite unclear how Eva was inside Addie, how they were talking and what exactly the "settling" was. This continued through the book, so some of the plot seemed quite disjointed. Also, some of the action jumped around, so although I got into the book, at times it made me want to stop reading and comprehend the situations.

Another thing that confused me, and I know Ruby got confused by this too, was what was the speech in their head and what was said aloud. When it was spoken, it was, as normal, in speech marks. But when they were talking in their heads, it was like <this>. It should have been really clear, but when they were talking to each other and a person at the same time, it was hard to establish the difference.

Addie is quite an annoying character. She seems quite bossy and very... proud, almost, that she became the dominant one. Personally, I felt that she seemed to try and undermine Eva, because she couldn't do anything in the real world. But then, because the book is from Eva's point of view, we don't really know how Addie feels when Eva begins to walk and talk. Even though Eva hears all her thoughts and feels how she feels, perhaps Addie feels differently? I loved Eva and Ryan, though. They were both quite mysterious characters, and I loved the fact that though they were hard to read in their charateristics, you could easily distinguish them from others, and the fact that the author made it easy to work out whether it was Devon or Ryan talking.

I didn't really like the ending, though I think it was done on purpose to correspond with the sequel that comes out soon.  

I think it would have been better if the point of view had switched between Addie and Eva, because I think we would have been able to see her emotions more clearly. There were little bits that kind of touched me during the book, like the fact that it was always "we" said, "we" walked, "us". It was never Addie, Eva believed it was her too.  This was in no way an easy read. You have to handle quite a lot and your emotions get quite shaken up!

So, overall, this was a great read. It kept me occupied and interested me. I can't wait for the sequel, Once We Were, which comes out soon, which I'll definitely read. But, due to the negatives I have told you about, the rating is lower than I expected.


Charli x

12 comments:

  1. I think we had the same experience with this one. :) I think my expectations for it were too high! I feel like I really enjoyed it, but I couldn't really have given it any higher than 3.5 due the negatives. :D

    Thanks for buddy reading with me! ^.^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was the same! I will read the sequel but I won't have massive expectations as I tried to have with this one.

      Thank you for buddying with me!! ^_^

      Delete
  2. I have chatted a bit with Kat. She's super nice, so I look forward to reading her work!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does seem really nice! :D

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. I think you and Ruby had the same views on the book. The concept sounds really cool so I'm excited to eventually read this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we had some discussions and we seemed to have the same sort of views!

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  4. I commented on Ruby's review tonight also. It's nice that the two of you read it together and had similar thoughts about it.

    I might read this one day, but it's not high on my list. It does seem interesting, though.

    Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed this one but like you I found Addie to be selfish and the writing to be confusing at times. The ending felt in complete somehow and this book did being out a lot of emotions. Overall it was a good read though with a very interesting concept. Great Review :)

    - Sunny

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really can't wait to read this book. The premise just sounds amazing. It's a unique concept for me. Even with the negatives you give I'm definitely going to give it a chance. I love the cover also!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really good, just don't set too high expectations of it, that's what got me and Ruby, we think. The cover us gorgeous!

      Delete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori