Thursday, August 01, 2013

Review: Earth Girl

I know what you call us. Throwbacks. Neanderthals. Apes. In the far future, the universe is divided into two different groups: the Norms, who can portal between planets, and people like Jarra, the one in a thousand born with an immune system that doesn't allow them to survive anywhere but Earth. But I have a plan. Norms come back to Earth for one reason: to study human history- like the ruins of what was once New York City. But only if they don't have to interact with any Apes along the way. 18-year-old Jarra has a plan to change that. This is one Earth girl who won't give in. 

Author: Janet Edwards 
Publisher: Harper Voyager 
Pages: 358 
Source: Borrowed (G+T)  
Goodreads | Amazon 

Earth Girl is about a Handicapped "ape" girl who can't go through the portals to anywhere but Earth. Everyone hates the apes, even though, of course, it's not their fault. 

Jarra hasn't got the same issues as any "normal" disabled people in our world: she can walk, she can talk, she doesn't have to use crutches- those are some things a disabled person might have to deal with. All that the apes have, however, is a different immune system, so they can't travel in the portals. 

Earth Girl shows us how prejudiced people are towards disabled people, whether it's to do with their mind or body. Having family with disabilities in both aspects, I fully respect disabled people; nothing is different about them! Many people in our world aren't like that. They snear, swear at them, don't bother to help when they are in difficulty. 

Jarra goes to a university with the "norms" and pretends she is instead from the Military sector (there are different sectors, all with different laws etc). She remakes herself into JMK (Jarra the Military Kid). She's top of the class and everyone loves her. 

The romance between her and Fian was sweet, but a bit undeveloped. One minute, friends; the next, they were Twoing- which was another thing I didn't quite understand. It said it was a contract tying you together; but then it talks about marriage, as well. These bits are the parts that could've been better. 

But, the book isn't a romance; it's a Sci-Fi Dystopia. And in that respect, it's really good! All the scientific bits are accurate or explained well. I particularly liked the parts where we get to know Jarra properly; in all the university parts, she is JMK and stays that way. Most of her character is the same, but parts of it aren't, and where she is just Jarra we learn about her history and true self. 

So, if you like Dystopia with little bits of romance, and you like sci-fi, it's probably a great book for you. Even if you're not keen on sci-fi, like me, it's still a really good book! Personally, I loved it. If the romance between Jarra and Fian has been slightly more developed, it would have been perfect. 



Charli x

P.S I just found out there is a sequel!! Yay!

3 comments:

  1. I love the cover! I saw it earlier on Goodreads this month, and thought it looked really cool.

    Nice review. I'm not a big fan of Sci-Fi, but I think I'm warming up to it because I've read and enjoyed a good number of them this month.

    Do you want to know what I find really interesting about this book. You said it's a dystopia and that the main character goes to a university--an actual school. I don't see that a lot in dystopia books--at least, not lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the great comment! :D

      I don't really like sci-fi personally, but I loved this. Which is interesting, as I never would have picked it up if I hadn't of had to read it for the G+T scheme at school.

      I guess it isn't really a main dystopian theme, but the whole thing is at the uni, so it's based off that scenario.

      Thanks again for the comment!

      Charli x

      Delete
    2. You're so welcome. Comments are so nice to receive and I was glad to stop by your review today. :)

      Delete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori