Saturday, August 17, 2013

Review: Delirium

Ninety-five days, and then I'll be safe. I wonder whether the procedure will hurt. I want to get it over with. It's hard to be patient. It's hard not to be afraid while I'm still uncured, though so far the deliria hasn't touched me yet. Still, I worry. They say that in the old days, love drove people to madness. The deadliest of all deadly things: It kills you both when you have it and when you don't

Author: Lauren Oliver
Publisher: HarperCollins
Pages: 441
Source: Borrowed from Library
Goodreads | Amazon

Wow. I... I'd been meaning to read this for ages, my school library didn't have it, and I had to order it in from the library, which then took two weeks. BUT IT WAS SO WORTH IT.

When people are in love, they are referred to as lovesick. In this book, it's taken very literally. Scientists have found a cure to love, because it's a disease that you can be punished for having.

Lena is such a beautiful character, though at the beginning she was quite naive. Further on in the book, I realised it wasn't her being naive, she had been brainwashed. Lauren Oliver gave Lena quite a transparent personality, but with many other characters, such as Alex, quite translucent individuality. The mix of being able to clearly understand and relate to the main protagonist and having the mystery of another is quite nice to have. And, of course, Alex has become yet another of my book boyfriends! He seems perfect...

What really shocked me in the book was how very little freedom they have. They have a curfew, there are raids, they are stopped in the street to look at identification. Before they are cured, they can't touch boys, talk to them. They are evaluated, most forced to lie, before being matched up to someone suitable. It makes you think about how you would feel, what you would do, if you were confined to this. I would probably do the same as Lena! Another thing was how much fear people had of the guards. They can hurt them on the spot!

My only problem with it is that although it wasn't quite insta-love, they moved pretty fast! He loved her within a few weeks, and they made plans on running away... Though, unlike other books where this feels unrealistic and bugs me, due to the theme and the fact that within a few months she would be cured and have her arranged marriage, it was ok!

It's quite similar to other dystopias, where it's basically based off a "what if" question, but it's different enough, with an uncommon theme (no love) which makes it interesting. Apart from the similarities, it's an absolutely beautiful book.

So, overall, this book was truly beautiful, and shows us what it's like to not be allowed to love. I loved it, and I'll definitely read the others in the series.



Charli x

16 comments:

  1. Great review! You make me want to read it!! Thank you :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked this, even though I had a bit of an "iffy" relationship with it! I agree it's very dystopian, and Lena's character is brilliant...it's just the romance really bugged me! I found myself absently turning the pages without realising, so therefore I felt quite disconnected throughout.

    Anyway though, I'm glad you liked it! I thought the writing was gorgeous. :) Great review Charli! (Leave me a bit of comment love?) ^.^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lena is awesome, though as I say, the niave-ness (niaveity? Idk...) at the beginning did annoy me a little. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it as much! :(

      Thank you so much! I'll head over and leave some love!

      Charli x

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed it. This book is the best in the series, IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, good!

      Thanks for commenting! :D

      Charli x

      Delete
  4. Really awesome review Charli! If I hadn't already loved book one, then your review would most definitely have convinced me to pick it up. I agree with everything you said and how Lena was made to be a really interesting character. I loved the concept of this one and for me the romance just worked. I found Delirium to be a great dystopian and I'll hopefully be continuing the series once I work up the nerve.

    - Sunny :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lena is interesting, at the start she annoyed me slightly, but as she began to realise the lying etc, she became better.

      Delirium is great, I've ordered the next one into my library!

      Thanks for the comment!

      Charli x

      Delete
  5. Great review, I really want to read this book. I borrowed recently but had to return coz it became overdue. Also I was reading City of Bones and other books and it wasn't my first priority but now it is! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Libraries are stupid like that :/ hope you enjoy it when you get it!

      Charli x

      Delete
  6. This is a fantastic book! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. This book has one of the most attention grabbing first sentences that I've ever read (I actually wrote it down on a notecard before I read further because I really liked it). I loved the whole love being a disease concept and Alex and Lena's relationship. I'm a lot more tolerant of insta-love than a lot of readers, so the romance worked really well for me.

    Great review! I'm looking forward to what you think of Pandemonium when you get to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! I agree with everything you say. I'm less tolerant of insta-love but it worked in this book!

      Charli x

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad you loved this book!!! I loved the entire series! I can't wait until you read the others to see what you think. Make sure to read the novellas in order also with the series. They give you some insider info that you want to know. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This one is really good!

      Delete
  8. Looks like an amazing book! Whenever I go into Waterstones, they have the 2nd and 3rd in the trilogy, but never the last. Definitely going to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! Hope you enjoy when you do :)

      Delete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori