Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Review: Amber

How do you live by the rules if you don’t know what they are? Amber has lost her memory and the only clues to her identity are a mobile phone in her pocket and a beautiful amber necklace around her neck. This intriguing and surprising novel for teenage girls will have readers gasping with disbelief as the truth about Amber is revealed...

Author: Julie Sykes
Publisher: Curious Fox
Pages: 297
Publish date: 12th September 2013
Series: Standalone
Source: For review.

I received this book from Curious Fox for free in return for an honest review. This did not affect my review at all. Thank you Curious Fox! 

I was really excited to get this book!  The cover is gorgeous and the synopsis makes it sound intriguing. It sounds like quite a typical YA book, with the twist of the fact that "Amber" has retrograde amnesia, having been in a car crash with a mysterious woman. She doesn't even know her name!

There are so many aspects to this book, little things that actually become significant further on in the book, such as her necklace, and why she is such a "maestro" on the flute. As is the case when people have amnesia, Amber picks up on things that she remembers, such as not liking uniforms, and being a vegetarian. This, along with other things, makes the book very unique from other typical YA books.


Amber as a character is much like any teen, with or without amnesia, in many aspects. She doesn't want to be the "geek" or the "nerd"- this is something she says a few times in the book- and is embarrassed that she can't remember anything. I love the fact that she does find humour, or irony in a way, in the situation: "Superficial! Was this woman serious? I wouldn't call an event that wiped my brain so clean I didn't even know my name, superficial.". Her relationship with Kirsty, and attraction to Dan, are also cute bits of the story, and her character, that I enjoyed.

There were a few negatives to the story. I found that some of it was forced, like bits of the action such as the events between her and Holly's dad, although that did end up to be key to the story, and the turn of events that made it into a sort of sci-fi story. I also didn't like the ending... It felt kind of rushed compared to the rest of the story and didn't explain how or why a few things had happened.

Overall, though, the story plot is great until it becomes more sci-fi towards the end, the characters and their thoughts and emotions are extremely well developed and although I didn't like the ending, the rest of the story is astonishing!

 (due to the turn of events, or it would have been a 4. I still highly recommend it!)

Charli x

P.S This was the first book I made notes on, and it seemed to work pretty well!

8 comments:

  1. I've been dying to read this book, now I don't know if it will be so high on my TBR. :-/ I really can't stand when the ending is the negative part of the book. But I will still read it, just maybe not so anxious anymore.

    Oh I started taking notes too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely still read it! It's really good, and the ending isn't massively bad, it's just slightly confusing and my ship didn't work out! Haha!

      Notes are cool, not sure if I'll continue, but it seemed to work with this particular book! :)

      Charli x

      Delete
  2. That's great that you're trying out taking notes! I do that in composition notebooks because I like to write down random thoughts I have about the book I'm reading at the time.

    I had never heard of this book until I saw you mentioning it on Twitter. I'm not sure if I'll read it, but I'll keep it in mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I personally use sticky tabs and write notes on them! I used like 20 for this book, and 40 for All Our Yesterdays!

      It's a great book, but it does depend on genre likings!

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Charli x

      Delete
  3. Sounds like an interesting read, but BUMMER about the forced stuff and rushed ending. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great except thoe few writing flaws! :)

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  4. I really love the cover and I'm excited to read this one. Shame you had problems with it.

    ReplyDelete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori