Friday, August 02, 2013

Discussion: Does The Protagonist Gender Make A Difference?

So, when reading books from a boy's PoV, I personally find it indifferent to the book itself, but how I can relate to the character is different. For instance, I relate quite well to some boy characters as I am a tomboy. However, some authors will try and write the opposite gender and it won't be as much like the gender intended as it should be. Sometimes, the author makes the character the same gender as themselves, but they make them quite like the opposite gender, such as Tris from Divergent, who is still of course a girl, but at times acts quite masculine. Like most others, if there a boys in a book I can end up fangirling... (Gus, sigh...) and sometimes I get quite attached to them! Here are what a few people thought...


 Jack @ The Book Stop: Makes no difference at all, as long as the protagonist is greatly developed and connectable!

Cat @ Through A Cat's Eyes: I personally don't care about the gender of the protagonist in a book but I do feel like it makes a difference as I often relate more to female protagonists. Saying that, I often like male characters more as I get really attached to them (Jerimiah, Gus...). Overall I don't have a preference but I do think it changes the way I read a book ^_^

 So there we are. I agree most with Cat, but Jack has a good point to! Have an opinion on this topic? Leave a comment :)


Charli

4 comments:

  1. This is such a tough question, but if I look at my list of favourite books, hardly any of them are from a male gender. Although, they are still there and were fantastic reads. I can personally relate better to the female protagonists - depending on what their story is. But, I feel it's more in their actions.

    I can connect more to the girls' point of view, but reading from a boys is a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same, barely any of my books are from male PoV but I really like it!

      Thanks for your opinion!

      Charli x

      Delete
  2. This is a great discussion question! Personally, I don't really mind the gender it's from the POV of but I'm used to it being a female main character... there aren't that many YA male protagonists so everytime I read a book with one it's really refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm in that sort of mind- Gus from TFiOS and Ethan from Beautiful Creatures are probably my favourites. I'm reading An Abundance of Katherines at the moment, as you know, and Colin is really interesting.

      Thanks for the comment :)
      Charli x

      Delete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori