Saturday, August 10, 2013

Cat's SRS Guest Post: Reading Memories!



Hello, I'm Cat; resident blogger (and all the other things) over at Through A Cat's Eyes.  I feel honored to be guest posting over here on Charli's lovely blog! :D

I've been reading for as a long as I can remember and there's never been a day in my life where I haven't had a love for books, ever since I was faced with a page of words for the very first time. I love reading and I enjoy most of the books I've read for different reasons, but there a few books that I've read in the past and will always love and cherish because of the memories attached to them. Here are those books and those ever-important memories. ^_^

First up is Paradise End by Elizabeth Laird
Everyday after school in Primary 6 and 7 (I was 10 and 11) I would go to the library with a couple of my friends and we would chat, do homework and get some books out. The library was my home away from home and I luuurved it there. :D One of the first books I got out during this library-obsessed phase was Paradise End by Elizabeth Laird. I read half of it at the library then took it out to finish at home, which only took an hour or so because I couldn't put it down. Elizabeth Laird's writing is beautiful and effortless, and the plot of Paradise End just sucked me in to a wonderful dream world. I kept renewing that book and re-reading it for a couple of months, then I finally bought my own copy online and have loved it ever since. It's a beautiful book and will always remind me of my after-school library trips. 

Next is Girl, Missing by Sophie McKenzie
I bought this book on a whim in Waterstones when I was about 9 or 10. I hadn't heard anything about it; I just read the blurb, liked the sound of it and bought it. It was finished a couple of days later and I had found myself a new favourite book. Sophie McKenzie's writing style really appealed to 10 year-old me and the plot of Girl, Missing was completely different compared to the fluffier stuff I was reading at the time. I'm not the biggest fan of it now but it's here because it is by far my most-read book. My copy is in a right state now: the pages are all crumply, the cover is a weird shade of grey and you can't touch it without getting graphite on your fingers...I've read this book 9 times over the years and have written an essay and solo talk all about the wonder that is Girl, Missing. I'll never forget how much I loved this book and how much I loved Jam. I have read the other books in the series but they just weren't the same...:(

Lastly is Looking For Alaska by John Green
This one won't a surprise to anyone who knows me at all, as my insane love for all things John Green definitely isn't a secret. Looking For Alaska was the first John Green book I read and was one of the only good things about my holiday in Malta a few years ago. I took 4 of my own books on the holiday and my sister took 4 of hers and as we spent most of the week stuck in our hotel rooms, I ended up reading all of mine and all of my sister's. One of my sister's books was Looking For Alaska by John Green. I read it in one sitting, crying for practically the entire book, then moved onto the rest of John Green's books straight away. I was in love with his writing and the characters and the plot and everything. If it wasn't for Looking For Alaska, I would never have found his other books and would never have became a Nerdfighter. 

I hope you enjoyed this post!! Remember to pop over to my blog hereand sign up for the Summer Reading Smackdown here. ^_^
Lots of love, Cat
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori