Thursday, August 15, 2013

Author Spotlight: Jack Croxall


Born in High Wycombe, Jack Croxall now lives in rural Nottinghamshire with his chocolate Labrador, Archie. He has a degree in Environmental Science from the University of Nottingham and currently toils away as a science writer in between working on his books. He tweets via @JackCroxall and blogs at www.jackcroxall.co.uk

 Hi Jack! Thank you for letting me interview you here at To Another World!

Your book Tethers looks amazing! How can my readers get it?

 Thank you! You can buy Tethers through Amazon, either as an ebook or as a paperback. Half of all royalties amounted from the paperback version will go directly to ME Research UK, a charity which funds biomedical research into ME and CFS. The book is also available in a few select bookstores and libraries around Nottinghamshire, but I'm hoping to expand its distribution soon.

How do you get your inspiration for your writing?

 I think up a lot of my ideas whilst I'm out and about, just walking the dog or going to a shop; generic activities like that. Suddenly I'll see somewhere that I think would be a good setting for a particular scene, and I'm able to imagine how my characters would act in that situation. On top of that, I often wake up in the early hours of the night with some kind of idea, when that happens, I grab my phone and text it to myself so I don't forget!

Do you have any top tips for budding writers?

 Firstly, read as widely as you can - not exclusively stuff from the genre you write in. I'm not just talking about fiction either; blogs, newspaper articles, pamphlets, menus, billboards, DVD boxes, E-mails, all can be sources of great writing - you need to absorb as much of it as you can! Secondly, get involved with the larger writing community. With social networking it's never been easier and most writers really are wonderfully supportive. I've found talking to fellow book/writing types incredibly helpful so please, get involved; my twitter handle is @JackCroxall so if you're interested, add me for a chat!

Is there a place that you like to write in, or do you just take it around and work when you can?

 I do have a particular place I like to write at! I wrote an article on writing environment here: http://bit.ly/SJlcHx

I love the fact that on Goodreads you review books like anyone else, instead of just keeping to your own author stuff. Do you have any favourite authors or books?

 Thanks! I absolutely love reviewing books, and I do so for a number of places on top of GoodReads including LeftLion Magazine, Unpopular Science and Parenting Without Tears. My favourite authors are people like Philip Pullman, William Nicholson and Richard Adams, but, if a book is good, I don't care who wrote it, I'll shout about it regardless!

 Now we have some fun questions!

The question I ask all my authors... You can take 3 things on a desert island. What are they (you cannot take anything to get off the island!! You are stuck on it!)

Ooo sneaky! Definitely a fishing rod to catch my dinner, photos of friends/family and a solar-powered laptop!

Favourite person? David Attenborough
Favourite sweet/chocolate/pudding? Chocolate Brownies
Do you like Ribena? (Don't ask. I love it.) Love it, not that Tooth Kind rubbish from a few years ago though.
Do you have a comfort habit? Cuddles with my puppy-dog, Archie!

 Lastly, some THIS OR THAT questions!

Typing or pen and paper? Typing
Orange or blackcurrant squash? Depends how hot it is.
BBC or ITV? BBC all the way!

 Thank you again for doing this interview Jack!

 

Connect with Jack on TWITTER, TETHERS ON FACEBOOK AND GOODREADS

 

BUY TETHERS HERE (EBOOK) OR HERE (PAPERBACK)

I haven't got it myself yet, but I plan to! It sounds fantastic!

Charli x

1 comment:

  1. Fun interview!! :)

    I agree, connecting with other authors is SO amazing!!

    Now I want brownies... ;)

    ReplyDelete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori